Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

SZ 532 fridge cooling problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stringmaster5512

Stringmaster5512

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fremont Pale Ale

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have a early '88 SZ 532 with a cooling problem. All of the mechanical are working, freezer is ok, t-stat is ok, evap fans are ok. Getting a lot of condensation

but that is due to a blown door seal. There was fist sized ball of ice  at the top tube of the evaporator, so I'm thinking my freon is low, low.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Stringmaster5512

Stringmaster5512

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Sorry, the keystrokes...am I correct that the refrigerant is low ? I cleaned the tubes and restarted the system to see if there is any change.

Anything I need to do at this time, except wait?

Domo Arigato

#3 lesguns

lesguns

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

YOU NEED NEW EVAPORATOR!

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Sub Zero has upgraded the replacement refrigerator compartment evaporators because of the system leak issues.  Make sure when researching part to have serial number for correct part number.

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Depending on the serial number your evap P/N is  4204420 .........................prior to S/N 681566 you will need to remove and discard the accumulator................. About 150 clam$....Plus shipping......................Plus a new filter dryer..................The  last Sub-O evaporator I  installed , the evap coil was made of copper not aluminum................Plus what PDuff said................

#6 Stringmaster5512

Stringmaster5512

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Thank you, info and part numbers. The current evap is aluminum, everything else is copper. Also, looks like a replacement compressor for the fridge side. 

I don't have the gear to do the R & R, but I am having a  S-0 tech out tomorrow. I just want to have my ducks, clams and knowledge base all in a row.

Lesguns: I would have gotten there, but you don't need to shout.

Thanks again! I will feed the beer fund...

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

Why new compressor????...............Even with a slow leak in the evaporator coils, the compressor should still be good...........For me , cuz I yam the Chief cook and bottle washer...I would evac. the system, add full charge and let the low side P.S.I.....( 30 psi on the P/T chart..)    and the current draw ( ballpark 1.7 amps )   tell the tale......................

#8 Stringmaster5512

Stringmaster5512

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sorry, sorry, I just meant that the compressor (fridge) had been replaced at an earlier time. Before I got it. I have 

the evaporator, et al, ordered and a local tech to recharge the system. I will catalog all the info so graciously given

and thank you all for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics