Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to adjust water level in ice maker & Defrost control question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

Aloha,

I have a GE ice maker mod# JS2 and there is an adjustment screw with two arrows. One is pointing to - and the other is pointing to +, so does this mean if I screw the screw towards the - side it will fill less water? Right now some water is dripping into the ice tray every time it fills.

I also have another question about a defrost control timer switch that I just bought for my GE (TXF24ZF) side by side refrigerator and it stays in the defrost mode for 35 minutes. Isn't this too long? Do you think that this part is defective?

Thank you,

doogdoog

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Correct on the cube size adjustment screw.  Should be able to adjust one way or the other without water splashing or leaking during fill.  As long as the icemaker mold coating is intact and not leaking you may have an issue with the water inlet valve.  Where are you seeing the leak at the icemaker?

As far as the defrost cycle time, the timer for your model (P/N WR9X489) does have a 35 minute defrost cycle.

#3 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Aloha PDuff,

Thanks for the reply and it creates an icicle at the end of the mold (back side of icemaker) on the right side. I turned the screw one whole turn last night and will try another turn again today. It may be the water inlet valve but it is hard to diagnose since I can't see it happening. My old defrost control defrost timer was 30 minutes and it had the old round synchronous motor in back of the gear box. This new unit has the motor built into the whole unit and the extra 5 minutes worried me thinking that it is too long. Thanks again.

Mahalo,

doogdoog 

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think you're ok with the replacement defrost timer.  On the icemaker you should be able to set the cube size screw at factory center and have a perfect size cube.  To check against mold leakage you can remove the icemaker assy from the freezer by loosening the two upper mounting screws and removing the lower leveling screw and disconnecting the wire harness.  You can then remove the icemaker.  Closely examine the mold for any Teflon coating flaking off.  If all checks ok you might just replace the water inlet valve.  A dead giveaway to a bad valve would be hollow cubes.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

... and the extra 5 minutes worried me thinking that it is too long.

Defrost duration is controlled by the Defrost Bi-metal Thermostat

when the Evaporator reaches 60F,

usually sooner than 30 minutes

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=2387

Defrost-Thermostat-WR50X122-00554862.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Aloha PDuff and Grand Master Funk,

How would the flaking teflon cause the water to drip? I am slowly adjusting the water level to see if that helps and I am going to check the level of the ice maker. I was checking the schematic and saw the bi-metal thermostat in the ckt. but was only thinking about the defrost control length of time instead of linking both of them together stopping the defrost cycle.

Mahalo,

doogdoog

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Aloha, doogdoog.  The coating of the mold serves two purposes.  Along with the mold heater it facilitates the ease of ejection by the ejection rod.  And since the mold is made of pot metal it also serves as a sealer.  As long as the fill tube and fill cup are properly in position, water should enter the mold without leaking.  The correct thickness of the cube at the center should be slightly over a 1/2".  Most mold leaks occur towards the front of the icemaker near the motor compartment.  If cubes are correct size and mold, fill tube and fill cup look good, problem could be your inlet valve.

#8 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Aloha PDuff,

I measured the cube and it was about 3/4" thick at the center so I am slowly decreasing the amount of water by turning the adjusting screw in 1/2 turn increments. I have another question about the temperature  of the freezer and fresh food compartment. The freezer temperature is 0 deg. and the fresh food side is about 42 deg. and I measured it with a thermometer in a glass of water. This is a side by side refrigerator and I also measured another refrigerator with the freezer on the top and the fresh food compartment on  the bottom. It measured 0 deg. in the freezer and 28 deg. in the fresh food compartment. Is there a problem with my side by side since the fresh food compartment measured 42 deg.?

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Try setting the freezer control to a warmer setting.  The freezer control can me a little misleading.  It's basically a damper so when you set it for colder freezer you're closing the damper more keeping more cold air in the freezer.  If your freezer controls have settings A-E set it at B or C at the most and adjust temperature for the entire unit at the refrigerator control, which is the actual thermostat.  Yours goes from 1-9 so set it at about 5 or 6 and allow to run for 24 hours, then check your temps.  Your fridge is an oldie but a goodie.  Mahalo.

#10 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Aloha PDuff,

Yes, the control wheel with A to E looked strange because I had the control panel cover off and looked how it worked when I turned the wheel. When I turned the damper control wheel to E,  the damper door closed and all there was, was a little round hole. So that would mean less cold air and while moving the wheel toward A, would increase the cold air from the freezer into the fresh food compartment (I was thinking it worked the opposite way, E the coldest for fresh food compartment). I set the freezer to C and the temperature control to 6 and the only humbug thing is that I have to wait 24hrs. LOL. Ok, thanks again and will check back with you in a couple of days after experimenting with the settings. Is there a spelling checker?

Mahalo,

doogdoog

#11 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

Aloha PDuff,

I have the control set to B and the temperature control to 9 and the freezer is about 2 deg. and the fresh food is 38 deg. It looks like this is the best I can do for the temperature and I guess this is an old refrigerator so I can't expect too much out of it. Thanks for all the help.

Mahalo,

doogdoog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics