Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

PSC25NSWA Freezer Temp Fluctuating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mkowal

mkowal

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

I first noticed the problem with my GE PSC25NSWA, when I'd see large icicles in the freezer and/or a block of ice in the ice bin.  The ice seemed to have thawed to the point that the water would over-flow the ice bin.  The temperature in the freezer will eventually recover and, at times, I'd find a flat, smooth layer of ice in the bin - to the point that the auger cannot operate since it's frozen solid. 

I know the temperature fluctuates in the freezer, as I've also found the cubes partially melted and a good deal of water in the bin.

I don't beleive this is a ice mold filling problem or an ice mold heating problem, as I've duplicated the temperature fluctuations with no ice in the bin and the ice maker turned off.  I checked the ice mold filling by testing the filling operation and there's no over-flow.  Again, the icicles and over flow was the way I initially discovered the problem. 

When the freezer is experiencing the problem, I notice the real-time temperature display climbs to 3 to 5 degrees.  When the tempeuature recovers, the normal freezer temp displays as -1 to -2 degrees.  Using an infrared temp gauge, the lower area of the freezer is very cold (well within the negative range), but the upper region of the freezer can be 30 to 37 degrees.

I'm suspecting that an intermittant fan may be the problem.  When the temp in the freezer is above freezing, the fan is almost never on and won't come on when I check the fan, by depressing the freezer door switch.

Conversely, when the freezer temperature is normal, the fan in the freezer almost always comes on when I depress the door switch.

Any help would be appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,562 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

I suggest turning water off to the water valve to completely rule it out as the culprit. Also disconnect the ice maker as oppose to switching it off. This will certainly rule out those two components as I have had ice maker heater problems even with ice maker turned off.  Also did you check your ice dispenser door for air leaks as well as a faulty light switch?  Make sure your condenser coils are clean and compressor fan is running. If all of this checks out okay, we may be looking at a bad board.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Any cooling problems in the refrigerator compartment?  Had similar intermittent problems where cooling was affected in both compartments.  Would find a large frozen icicle in the freezer from the front of the ice bin.  Replacing motherboard had no effect.  Had to replace the thermistor at the base of the fresh food evaporator as well as the evaporator cover which contains the dc fan motor.  Hadn't heard back.

#4 mkowal

mkowal

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Any cooling problems in the refrigerator compartment?  Had similar intermittent problems where cooling was affected in both compartments.  Would find a large frozen icicle in the freezer from the front of the ice bin.  Replacing motherboard had no effect.  Had to replace the thermistor at the base of the fresh food evaporator as well as the evaporator cover which contains the dc fan motor.  Hadn't heard back.[/[quote name="PDuff" post="259095" timestamp="1372198943"]Any cooling problems in the refrigerator compartment?  Had similar intermittent problems where cooling was affected in both compartments.  Would find a large frozen icicle in the freezer from the front of the ice bin.  Replacing motherboard had no effect.  Had to replace the thermistor at the base of the fresh food evaporator as well as the evaporator cover which contains the dc fan motor.  Hadn't heard back.

I've been following the freezer temp, but I'll monitor the fridge too and post what I find.
Thanks

I suggest turning water off to the water valve to completely rule it out as the culprit. Also disconnect the ice maker as oppose to switching it off. This will certainly rule out those two components as I have had ice maker heater problems even with ice maker turned off.  Also did you check your ice dispenser door for air leaks as well as a faulty light switch?  Make sure your condenser coils are clean and compressor fan is running. If all of this checks out okay, we may be looking at a bad board.

Good ideas. I'll get that started and post the results.

Thanks

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,562 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

I slso agree with Pduff regarding thermistors. Definitely test/chsnge thermistors before replacing the board.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 mkowal

mkowal

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I've been following the freezer temp, but I'll monitor the fridge too and post what I find.
Thanks

Good ideas. I'll get that started and post the results.

Thanks

Sorry for not getting back sooner.  I disconnected the ice maker and turned off the water supply and waited for the problem to re-occur, which took a few days.

This morning, the problem is happening again and I found the freezer temp setting is -3, the displayed temp shows 5 deg, but the measured interior temp is 18-34.  The fridge temp is set for 36, displays as 45 and the actual, measured temp is over 50.  The Measured temps are read with a real-time infra-red guage.

I'm noticing that the fan in the freezer won't turn on, if I depress the door switch.  The fridge fan runs when door switch is depressed.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

http://appliantology...nnotated-guide/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics