Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch SHE6AF02UC/02 Drain Pump Keeps Cycling

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

I'm stumped with a problem on my Bosch (model SHE6AF02UC/02) dishwasher. The drain pump cycles on and off even though there is no water. If I add some water, it will pump out, but the cycling continues. I cannot start the wash cycle. Seems that the unit is getting a signal telling it to finish draining. The only float I can find is the dome shaped one in the middle of the bottom of the tank. I can hear a click of a switch when I move that float up and down. I have slid the unit out from the counter and looked for additional sensors, but I'm not seeing anything. Any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

There is another float under the tub in the base of the unit, if it's constantly draining when turned on there is water in the base. Clean up all of the water and leak test the unit.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#3 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

Can you tell me where the second float is?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,817 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

I'm just seeing the one float assembly but with two parts: one inside the wash basin and one in the base pan.  But I've not worked on many of these Ascenta models so I may be missing something:

gallery_4_7_99427.png

#5 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

That is exactly what I'm seeing. There is a linkage that can be reached from underneath and I can lift the float up, hear the microswitch clicking. I know I'm missing something simiple! I noticed this morning that the pump will run with the door open or closed. 

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Check your drain hose for proper installation.  Should be a proper gooseneck where the drain hose connects to the disposer or sink drain to prevent siphoning or backflow.  Remove the sump filter and add water to the sump until filled.  Then lift the safety float until switch activates.  Once water drains out, release the float.  If water backflows into the sump, the backflow (check) valve may be stuck open.  Clean sump and backflow valve.  If necessary, replace backflow valve.

#7 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Siphon loop is good. Checked for backflow, none...

#8 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Have you removed the toe kick yet to see if there's water in the base?

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#9 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

The kick cover is off. I don't know how to check the base for water. I've just been checking inside, at the drain.

#10 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Have you removed the toe kick yet to see if there's water in the base?

There is no base pan in the Ascenta model.

#11 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

That explains why I couldn't figure out how to do it! Any thoughts?

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,817 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Brother jumptrout speaketh much truth.  It's really just a base plate, a structural component.  The float switch in the base plate is only actuated by the float in the basin of the dishwasher, not by leakage onto the base plate.  The float switch can, however, become flakey like any switch can and this is probably what's happening with your dishwasher.   Float switch part link:  http://repairclinic..../611665/1559881

Replacing float switch is the essence of joy itself.  You'll need to remove the dishwasher and flip it upside down.  You'll definitely want the manual for this:  http://appliantology...ruction-manual/

#13 HardlySlept

HardlySlept

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

I think I'll pull the wires off the float switch and ring them out, figure out what has continuity and when. Then, with a couple of jumpers I can 'trick' the machine into 'thinking' the float is up or down. I suppose I should figure out this apprentice thing, too. That way I can download the manual!

#14 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Even in diagnostic mode this models control will happily point toward a problem with the safety float or switch which may not be the problem.  There may been a one time temporary drain obstruction causing the control to keep running the drain pump.  Try resetting the control using the following two steps:

1)  With the door closed and the dishwasher turned on, press and hold the Start button for 5 seconds.  If your model has a display it should show "01" of "00".  Press the On/Off button (turning the dishwasher off) and the control should be reset.

2)  If step one didn't work, remove the toe kick and disconnect the drain pump wire harness from the drain pump.  Make sure the connector isn't touching anything, tape it if necessary.  With the door closed, press the On/Off button turning the dishwasher on.  You should hear the control turn on and the relays click on and off.  Wait about 30 seconds with the power on, then press the On/Off button to turn the dishwasher off.  With the power off, reconnect the drain pump harness and reinstall toe kick.  With the door closed, press the On/Off button to turn dishwasher on.  The control should be reset.

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics