Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Fixing a Clogged Defrost Drain Check Valve in a Whirlpool-built Bottom-Mount Refrigerator

Whirpool bottom-mount refrigerator freezer drain condensate defrost grommet check valve duck bill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

The newer model Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, Amana,Jenn-Air, and Maytag bottom-mount refrigerators are prone to clogged condensate drain problems from a rubber check valve on the drain tube that can get clogged up with gookus.  In this exciting episode of Appliantology TV, Samurai Appliance Repair Man takes you deep into the belly of the beast, revealing the location of this troublesome check valve and shows you how to fix it for good.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Derik

Derik

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors light

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Seen this many times in last few years and did exactly what video shows and it work great!!! Have had no call backs other than to say (thankyou)!!!!

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Domo, Brother Derik!   :thumbsup:

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

Don't know if we should add this video here now since they did come out with a part to fix this as well Part number: AP5780744

Part number: AP5780744

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 16 August 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#5 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Use all the resources you can for help in repairing appliances. I have repaired this problem. The new kit does not come with 2 hoses. Only one. Replace the duck bill.

Edited by richseattle56, 29 April 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#6 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

There is an epidemic of these things. I get a call on one about once every two weeks.

Thanks Whirlpool.

#7 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Got a call back on one of the first P-traps installed .

Little bubbles of ice was forming on the evaporator cover .

Near as I could tell the water trapped in the P was evaporating and due to the heat of the compressor.

Another contributing factor could be that her apartment was right on the shore of False Creek ( Pacific Ocean ) .

Whirlpool might have to re-engineer there final solution to the gummy duck bill grommet.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I've installed dozens of these new P-traps without a single call back.  The critical part of the installation-- and the one, I suspect, that most servicers don't pay much attention to-- is the flush fit of the top part of the P-trap against the bottom of the cabinet.  It is crucial that there be no air leaks in that area because the cold air will leak out of the freezer and cause ice plugs at that location.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whirpool, bottom-mount, refrigerator, freezer, drain, condensate, defrost, grommet, check valve, duck bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics