Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
southern engineering

Hotpoint WLW3700R washer transmission oil leak. Are they worth repairing?

3 posts in this topic

Greetings Wise One, and appliance repair Gurus! 

I am in need of wisdom from you as a relative of mine has an older Hotpoint WLW3700R top load washer; 6 cycle, heavy duty, extra large capacity, two speed washing machine that started leaking yellow oily fluid from the bottom.  I am guessing the transmission is giving up its liquid of life.  This washing machine is said to be still functioning as it should, and no comment of odd noises.  Are these washers worthy of a DIY repair without being very costly (time and money), or is it better to send it to the great trash heap in the sky when the transmission runs dry?  Do these washers have an underlying cause for the transmission to leak?  Are the complete transmissions still available, as I saw only replacement parts at the HotPoint, and Repair Clinic sites?  Thanks for all your assistance!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The part number for the transmission is WH38X53, and it is discontinued. If it was me on a service call I would advise them to run it until it quits and then buy another washer.

The part number for the transmission is WH38X53, and it is discontinued. If it was me on a service call I would advise them to run it until it quits and then buy another washer.

I very much appreciate your wise words of wisdom, and also the part number.  I will do some pricing on the transmission, and relay your advice to the relatives. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0