Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kitchenaide freezer ice maker. is this possible?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:grape juice

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Post 2002 refrigerator and the optic eye is reading the two flashes and a pause like it is supposed to on opening the freezer, but when shutting the adjacent flap I am not getting the solid red light. It is still blinking two flashes. The thing is, they are getting ice periodically. Sometimes a couple batches a day. I had them turn the freezer to colder setting because it was on the higher side and after 24 hrs no batch. Is it definitely the optic sensor and is it possible that it is working periodically? thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

Was your finger blocking the hole in the flapper when you closed it?  

Did you hold the door switch closed at the same time?

#3 Nicky

Nicky

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

no, all clear between the two points and i didnt depress the door switch. It is reading bad but wanted to know if anybody has ever come across a bad optic control that worked periodically.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

I've never seen the optics controls go intermittent. I have seen the ice makers go intermittent. What's the model number of the refrigerator?

#5 Nicky

Nicky

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

The model of fridge is KSBP25INSOO   I was thinking it could be failing thermostat in icemaker, but if optics are giving the reading to replace i'm assuming that needs done either way. Maybe the optics are having brief moments of clarity. I know on my kitchenaid a couple years ago I replaced my optics and it cured it, but I was getting no ice at all.

#6 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yep had one with cracked solder joints on the board. If red light does not stay on constantly when closing the flap it should be replaced.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Optics controls:  http://www.repaircli.../4389102/921526

Ice-Level-Control-Board-4389102-01336902

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Btw, are the harvesting fingers on the ice maker in the proper resting position? And just to be certain it is the optics board, you can temporarily bypass it to check for a functioning icemaker. More than likely it's the optics based on the info you provided but I always like to double check boards when possible. Also the optics will blink, although usually in a different pattern, when the icemaker is in harvest mode.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Nicky

Nicky

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

im just going to get the new optics. i will bypass and start cycle at receiver eye harness when I remove it, but like I said, she is getting ice from time to time. I was told that the icemaker was worked in in the last few years. She is not sure if it was replaced or if it was the optic controls. I would just rather see no ice at all instead of intermittent ice.

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Two flashes usually indicate the icemaker is a harvest cycle.  Remove the icemaker and inspect the module, particularly the drive gear cam.  Make sure the two tabs that fasten the drive gear to the module face haven't broken.  If one tab breaks off, the gear can get pushed away from module during harvest disrupting the contacts behind the gear.  I've had one separate during the fill cycle once.  Whoa, Nellie!

#11 Nicky

Nicky

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

the thing is, it always has the 2 flashes and I cant get the solid. Are you saying it could be stuck in the harvest mode? And like I stated, there is ice being produced from time to time.

#12 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

This is a basic ice maker, the shut off is just controlled by the Remitter set. Did the water valve and temperatures are OK, it can only be one of the two, IM or Remitter set. Diagnose the ice maker like you would any other, if it checks good your only left with the bad electronics.

I say this but, there's one other thing it could be. I've only seen it once, on a built KA, but it was a bad control the was sometimes sending power to the Remitter and other times not.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics