Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

MAYTAG REF FREEZER

FROST PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:rootbeer

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Dear Samurais,

I have an Maytag refridgerator model # MFI2569VEB2 and the freezer is getting frost on the inside of the door and a little in the left top corner towards the very front of freezer compartment.My first diagnoses was to replace the gasket ,even though it looked ok.Well the customer called back and said it was doing the same thing.Iam starting to think the insulation in the freezer door has shifted or something.Am not sure what else to do to remedy problem. Also she has to wipe up a small  amount of water that gets on the floor.This is coming from the bottom center of door on the gasket itself.When i looked at it there is beads of moisture there.Need some help from you guys please...

SAMANERA

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Go around back in the compressor compartment and make sure the check valve on the defrost drain tube is still there.  If it's missing, then some joker removed it in a previous repair because it was clogging the defrost drain causing it to freeze and making water run out the front.  The check valve needs to be there but modified, as shown in this video:

#3 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

AWESOME,

You are the Master! Hey Iam SAMSUNG Authorized so if you need to know any trickswith those Appliances let me know

SAMANERA

#4 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

Hi Master,

The customer called me back the next day to tell me the problem is worse than ever.I replaced the duck bill piece because it wasnt even there.

Please let me know what to do now.Iam at a loss here

Thank you

SAMANERA

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

Sounds like you have a door closing problem letting air in and causing the frost. Do you see any gaps around the freezer door gasket and the cabinet when the door is closed?

If the gears for the top rack are misaligned, the freezer door won't seal correctly.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

How's all Door Gaskets ?

Try the George Wa$h1ngton test ...
Close the Door on George and slide him around the Gasket.
Check to be sure he stays snug

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Also, if that bottom bracket is misaligned in the support racks or if the back hooked tab on the rack isn't seated all way in the rail slot, the door won't close all the way.  Almost but not quite.  I point that out in this video:

#8 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for responding,

I spent some time after rplacing the freezer door gasket making sure it was sealed all the way around.When I go back I will check to make sure the door is closing properly according to your video.I hope thats the answer.I understand warm air must be getting in there some how,thats the only way frost forms as far as I know.I will let you know what I find

SAMANERA

#9 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Dear Master,

I went to this customer today and looked at the hooks that sit in the guide and they are

Inserted and seated properly.I get that 'KA-CHUNK ' when the freezer door is closed.It pulls the door in almost by itself when closing .I also looked thoroughly at the new gasket That I replaced and it is sealing correctly.I get that accordian type action when trying to open door just before it actually opens,i.e.,the magnet strip stays solid all the way around the door just before it opens.One thing that struck me today was that this Ladies home was like a sauna,I mean it was more humid in her house than it was outside.I service the Myrtle Beach area in South Carolina and that is saying something.Iam just wondering if opening and closing the freezer door in this condition has anything to do with what is going on.I reallydont know.I asked her if she could not open the freezer door for 24hrs and she agreed.I hope with your help we can find the remedy.I have pictures of the moisture around the gasket that I took a few moments after first opening freezer door.I also took a temp reading on evap cover and read 5 degrees.Let me know what you think

SAMANERA

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

One thing that struck me today was that this Ladies home was like a sauna,I mean it was more humid in her house than it was outside.I service the Myrtle Beach area in South Carolina and that is saying something.Iam just wondering if opening and closing the freezer door in this condition has anything to do with what is going on

That would absolutely have a big impact.  There's a big air exchange between the inner compartment air and ambient air with each door opening.  If conditions are more humid than normal, that will show inside the compartments as frost/condensation getting inside there from normal use.  I thought everyone down South had air conditioning?  How can she stand living like that?  The frost and moisture will go away once she gets her central A/C fixed.  Tell her she has bigger things to worry about.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics