Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

From one extreme to another

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Adams

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have a 2 year old Whirlpool Refrigerator Model# W8TXNGFWB01 that is acting like a true 2 year old. Two weeks ago I paid 160.00 to replace the evaporator fan because the fridge wasn't cold and the freezer wasn't freezing.  Now its freezing food in the fridge side and the evaporator fan won't stop running. The temperature knob is set a 1.  The repairman estimated another $150 to fix it but I just can't afford it.  Please help. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

What did he say was wrong with it now?

#3 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

He mentioned the thermistor but wasn't sure until he had a look at it. He seems pretty honest but I'm so worried about losing money  that I would like a second opinion and if its not too complicated to replace then I would like to give it a try.

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't think the thermistor would be causing the challenge, I know coincidences happen a lot in this business but, you went from a fan motor not running at all to not turning off at all.
Especially since this model doesn't have a thermistor, just a traditional thermostat which is very easy to replace on your own.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

http://www.repaircli...delNumber=W8TXN

Here is the thermostat for your model.It sounds like its bad casuing refrigerator to run too much.

#6 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

I am so glad I asked you guys. I know he said thermister because he corrected me when I said thermostat in the conversation.  I had a gut feeling that maybe I wasn't getting a correct answer to the problem when I called him.  I truly appreciate your information.  I'll let you know how the self repair goes. Have a great day!

#7 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

http://www.repaircli.../2196003/453337
Just remove plastic tube on old thermostat and replace it on new thermostat.It will look like this.You do not have to buy a new tube just use old one.

Edited by bigbuck, 27 June 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#8 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

He replaced the fan motor and it worked after he was done... Yes? I would have made the assumption that was the problem... Turns out the thermostat was also bad... (Assuming this fixes your problem now).

It's not common for multiply problems to be present, but it still does happen. Sometimes we mistake a symptom for the root cause of the problem. Doesn't make this repair person the worst one ever.

#9 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well I replaced the thermostat last week and it was so easy but, unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem.  The evaporator fan still runs constantly and my food still freezes.  The temperature set at 1 1/2 and the thermometer I put in the fridge reads 20 degrees.  Please give me some more suggestions.  I'm spending a fortune in food and I'm sure my electric bill is going to be high.  Thank you.

#10 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Is the fan wired incorrectly? I don't know how, but is it wired to where the evaporator fan is always hot? Can you turn your thermostat (cold control) down very low and here the condenser fan and compressor turn off, but the evaporator fan continues running?
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#11 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

I just had the same idea.  I pulled the cover off of the fan and the wire that has a loop on it (i'm assuming is a ground wire?) wasn't attached to anything.  Do I just remove a screw and put it in like I would a washer?  The tubes on the side of the are frozen but the things that look like a radiator are ok.  I apologize for my lack of terminology but I try to create a visual without saying doo- hicker or thingy. Only when I turn the thermostat to off does the fan stop.  I think I only hear the evaporator fan running I believe the compressor does cycle on and off. 

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

... The tubes on the side of the are frozen but the things that look like a radiator are ok.

... Only when I turn the thermostat to off does the fan stop. I think I only hear the evaporator fan running I believe the compressor does cycle on and off. 

1) post pictures somewhere, then post the links here

2) Evaporator Fan, Condenser Fan, and Compressor are wired together, when one stops, they all stop

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

I hope I set up this link correctly. https://www.dropbox....f7whv/photo.JPG

#14 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

i put the grounding wire on. Could that be enough to make it not work properly?

#15 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

No.

Did you see a complete frost pattern on the evaporator in the freezer .Meaning frost from top of evaporator to bottom?

#16 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

You posted picture ok.I see no frost on evaporator.Did you see frost from top to bottom when you took panel off?

#17 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

no just on the coils off to the side where the defrost thermostat attaches to the coil.  There was ice on the top inside of the freezer but really any frost anywhere else.

#18 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

So you saw no frost on the evaporator from the top to bottom of the coil.A slight frost no ice is what i am getting too.

#19 MaryW13

MaryW13

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

no frost on the evaporator but the coil to the left was frozen (I'm assuming that's normal?) and icicles in the to of the freezer compartment.

Also, the answer to

Is the fan wired incorrectly? I don't know how, but is it wired to where the evaporator fan is always hot? Can you turn your thermostat (cold control) down very low and here the condenser fan and compressor turn off, but the evaporator fan continues running?

everything is running even at the lowest setting until i turn it to the off position.

#20 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

How long was the refrigerator off do you think until you got that freezer panel OFF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics