Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire gler642as3 drum won't come out!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RRW513

RRW513

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Our gler642as3 dryer is not drying clothes well. It runs about 3 hours before the clothes are anywhere near dry. The vent is clear and air blows just fine out of the back of it so we don't think it's an air flow issue. The clothes do not feel hot when we take them out so we believe it's not getting hot or not hot enough. They do feel a little warm and I do feel the back of the dryer getting hot, but I'm thinking that the only issue it could be is the heating element. If you have any other suggestions as to what it might be, that'd be great.

However, I decided to disassemble the dryer and see if the thermal fuse was the issue or if it was the heating element. I had not one problem taking the machine apart using a instructional video. Only when it came time to remove the drum, it wouldn't come out! It feels like it's still attached firmly to the back of the dryer in the very center of the drum. I tried looking up info for this specific dryer and the only thing I can find is the same instructions that are everywhere for all dryers, nothing specifically for ours. I lifted the lid, detached the wires, took the front off, then took the back piece off and detached the belt.

Is there something special about this dryer that makes it so I have to do something else? I see there are a bunch of screws on the back of the drum, but I didn't want to remove those for no reason and end up making things worse. I did remove all the screws on the back of the dryer, and that made no difference. My husband thinks it's crazy every time I try and repair stuff in the house myself. He'd rather pay someone $150 (actual quote from a repair man) to fix it.  So now I look like an idiot because our dryer is taken apart, and I have made no progress toward fixing it. My husband wants to just put it back together and pay the crazy repair fee. Any advice on what I might have missed? I really hate the idea of paying someone money to do something that I can do myself.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

You need to push up on the drum to release the drum bearing in the rear, usually it's just a simple push up, but I've occasionally had a few where you have to smack the inside of the drum upwards with the palm of your hand. Don't take the screws out of the back, no need.

But you said the dryer gets hot on the outside back panel? Very your air flow isn't the problem. Test by running a load with the vent hose disconnected from the wall. But don't do this a lot, just for a small quick test load.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 RRW513

RRW513

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

I jut tried asking my husband to pull up on it hard, and it's not moving. There are 3 screws in the middle of the drum that I'm tempted to unscrew but I don't want to mess something up. We tried running it disconnected from the wall and with the hose disconnected, this is how we knew for sure it wasn't the vent or the hose that's clogged and because there's a good amount of air flowing out of the back we concluded it wasn't the air flow that was the issue.

#4 RRW513

RRW513

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

My husband manage to get it out, it took way more muscle than I would have ever thought. It looked so simple in the video.

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Here's the parts breakdown, look on page 2. What you're trying to do by popping the drum up is lift #32 up out of #12. It can be done. If you take the screws out of the rear of #21 you are unscrewing the drum from #32, you will still need to remove 32 from 12. It's just more work doing it that way.

GLER642A
http://appliantology...42a-parts-list/

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics