Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Propane gas grill conversion to natural gas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Wasn't sure where to post? Do you need the Char Broil Conversion Kit or can you just remove the restrictors (lp orifices if that's what they are) in the burner supply tubes - sounds maybe unsafe??? Read it somewhere that is basically all the conversion kit does plus you get the hook-up hose? 

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

You need the correct conversion kit. You don't remove the orifices you change them, as well as most likely changing the regulator. It's a gas appliance, be safe and convert it properly.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

https://www.dropbox.... conversion.pdf

Use this link for the formula for orifice sizing in gas conversion .

And yes you will have to change the manifold from 11” W.C. To 3.5 “ W.C.

Or you can use the manufacturers conversion kit … thats what I always do .

Yes , I have a Gas Ticket. The only time I ever used this formula was to get my Gas Ticket !

#4 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

I assume a "gas ticket" is a certified gas appliance/utility license?  I understand enough to possibly screw it up  -  like if i used a size #52 bit to drill out the orifices i can do that, but to change the control valve manifold pressure ?  it comes from the utility probably around 6"  - i don't know yet how to  drop it to 3.5". Let's see, there are 27" in a PSI,.............??? i just don't remember  - i guess break out a text book ...... or buy the kit for a specific grill!! But, i don't see as of yet a grill i like that has a conversion kit available..................that is why i am trying to get what i want the hard way, not by choice. 

#5 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

In the province of British Columbia you used to have to write for a “C ticket “ to service gas appliances.

If you wanted to become a Gas Fitter you would then write for your “B ticket”on your way to an “A ticket “.

The card in my wallet is a “Certificate of Qualification “ to preform the duties of a “ Gas Appliance Service Technician ”.

In these parts it is called a “Gas ticket” , hard to get a job in the appliance service industry around here without one.

I do not recommend “drilling out” an orifice and by using a #52 drill I assume you are working on a 10,000 btu burner or burners.

Orifices of all sizes are available for a minimal cost. If you find a source for the orifice they will probably have the regulator you need.

If the regulator in not clearly marked as convertible to N.G . There are no adjustments.

You need to buy a new one, and the proper supply hose.

1- Psi = 28 in's wc or 1-Osi = 1.75 in's wc . Do the math , get the right one.

http://www.maxitrol.com/regsizprog.asp

This link might help

The manufactures conversion kit comes with the proper regulator and orifices . All the ones I have seen for BB-Q's also comes with a length of hose with a quick disconnect that fits into the N.G. outlet.

If you insist on doing it, “the hard way” , double check your calculations.

#6 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

In Florida we call it a Gas Qualifier Installer. The company has to have a license but they can't get it without have a qualifier. Each qualifier can have 8 employees working under his qualification. I may be wrong about the number of techs working under the qualifier, it's been a while.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#7 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

thanks all for the help. looks like i will just buy a grill that has a conversion kit available for order. $70 for a kit where the grill it fits is junk in 4 yrs.......................oh well, have to learn to live in the present. Can't afford a Weber

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

http://www.searsoutl...20110411x000004

http://www.charbroil...ersion-kit.html

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics