Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

crafty29

Propane gas grill conversion to natural gas

8 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure where to post? Do you need the Char Broil Conversion Kit or can you just remove the restrictors (lp orifices if that's what they are) in the burner supply tubes - sounds maybe unsafe??? Read it somewhere that is basically all the conversion kit does plus you get the hook-up hose? 

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You need the correct conversion kit. You don't remove the orifices you change them, as well as most likely changing the regulator. It's a gas appliance, be safe and convert it properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w5w8sffdjvmig7/Gas%20conversion.pdf

Use this link for the formula for orifice sizing in gas conversion .

And yes you will have to change the manifold from 11” W.C. To 3.5 “ W.C.

Or you can use the manufacturers conversion kit … thats what I always do .

Yes , I have a Gas Ticket. The only time I ever used this formula was to get my Gas Ticket !

I assume a "gas ticket" is a certified gas appliance/utility license?  I understand enough to possibly screw it up  -  like if i used a size #52 bit to drill out the orifices i can do that, but to change the control valve manifold pressure ?  it comes from the utility probably around 6"  - i don't know yet how to  drop it to 3.5". Let's see, there are 27" in a PSI,.............??? i just don't remember  - i guess break out a text book ...... or buy the kit for a specific grill!! But, i don't see as of yet a grill i like that has a conversion kit available..................that is why i am trying to get what i want the hard way, not by choice. 

In the province of British Columbia you used to have to write for a “C ticket “ to service gas appliances.

If you wanted to become a Gas Fitter you would then write for your “B ticket”on your way to an “A ticket “.

The card in my wallet is a “Certificate of Qualification “ to preform the duties of a “ Gas Appliance Service Technician ”.

In these parts it is called a “Gas ticket” , hard to get a job in the appliance service industry around here without one.

I do not recommend “drilling out” an orifice and by using a #52 drill I assume you are working on a 10,000 btu burner or burners.

Orifices of all sizes are available for a minimal cost. If you find a source for the orifice they will probably have the regulator you need.

If the regulator in not clearly marked as convertible to N.G . There are no adjustments.

You need to buy a new one, and the proper supply hose.

1- Psi = 28 in's wc or 1-Osi = 1.75 in's wc . Do the math , get the right one.

http://www.maxitrol.com/regsizprog.asp

This link might help

The manufactures conversion kit comes with the proper regulator and orifices . All the ones I have seen for BB-Q's also comes with a length of hose with a quick disconnect that fits into the N.G. outlet.

If you insist on doing it, “the hard way” , double check your calculations.

In Florida we call it a Gas Qualifier Installer. The company has to have a license but they can't get it without have a qualifier. Each qualifier can have 8 employees working under his qualification. I may be wrong about the number of techs working under the qualifier, it's been a while.

thanks all for the help. looks like i will just buy a grill that has a conversion kit available for order. $70 for a kit where the grill it fits is junk in 4 yrs.......................oh well, have to learn to live in the present. Can't afford a Weber