Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dishwasher door drops to full open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

We just bought this house and had a repairman say our Whirlpool model #GU2475XTV80  S/N FY3310543 dishwashers door is normal: it drops to nearly full open position when the door is unlatched and will not "stay" in any intermediate position. We think it is unsae(little kids) etc and any others we have had the door would stay wherever position you put it in??

Thank You

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

I think the repairman that you talked to is mistaken......

You need to pull the dishwasher out, you maybe able to see if the springs are intact by removing the kickplate at the bottom.

One of the springs or plastic link that goes from hinge to spring maybe broken or you may just need new friction pads, (someone else on this forum just recently had one of these that the door wouldn't stay down and it ended up being the little rubber friction pads that go on the hinge arms so the door will stay at whatever open position you open it to.).  

Most likely since your door just drops down real hard you are going to find one of the springs are loose from it's attachment points and it will be a broken spring or the plastic/nylon link that attaches the spring to the hinge.

Friction pads 8268961 http://www.repaircli.../8268961/941116

Sleeve-8268961--00981041.jpg

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 28 June 2013 - 06:08 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Thank you, it does not drop hard, it just goes down and stays down. All other dishwashers we have had, you could open door 1/2 way and it would stay there - this one, just goes/drops to the full open position. Repairman did say he adjusted the spring tension and could do no more and that this dishwasher did not have the door link  like links/pulley system like some do that i have seen and read about that was said to be the probable cause?

Thank You

#4 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

went to lowe's tonight, pulled the doors open on 35 dishwashers all to many diffferent degree's of openess - only ONE(1) door did not remain ridgidly in any number of positions i checked  -  apperently i have the  "one in a million"  bad dishwasher design models although i believe it is 3 to 4 yrs old and a decent Whirlpool Quiet Partner 4 Model?  

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

Part #7 is the friction washer if you want to check it.

W1106020-00001.png

Edited by tpoindexter, 29 June 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Test

#6 crafty29

crafty29

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thanks, it that like the previos man told me might be bad (like if i look at the close up he had )?  How do you know if it is worn or bad? Thank You!

#7 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

huh ??

the door doesnt drop down hard ? then its working ok

door should be either open or closed not halfway in between

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics