Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dishwasher element overheat caused small crack in the bottom of the tub

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sayuri Geisha

Sayuri Geisha

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have a Kenmore dishwasher. Noticed a leak. inside the washer, I noticed a warn area underneath the heating element, with about a 1/3 inch crack in it. We noticed that the heating element was bent towards the bottom of the tub" and it appeared that it had excessively heated this area underneath. 

My husband bent the heating element back up into its' normal position, (it was only down closer by 1/2 an inch or so, and used some DAP gasket maker to cover the burned area. Apparently it is 100% RTV silicone, resists temperatures up to 400 degrees farenheit, and is watertight.

Here is the question. How hot does it get in the dishwasher? Is the heater element going to ignite this stuff and cause a fire? Does anyone know if this is safe? I have a 5 year old, and just want to make sure we aren't exposing her to nasty chemicals., needless to say a house fire.

Thanks for your help!

:banana:  :dancin: PS. my 5 year old had to pick a few emoticons. Sorry....goes with the territory of dealing with dishwasher issues with a youth around.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

What is the model and serial number? Some dishwashers have been recalled due similar issues...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#3 Sayuri Geisha

Sayuri Geisha

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

It is a Kenmore Model Number 587.16072200. Serial number TH24055241.

Thanks for your help!

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Your dishwasher was manufactured for Sears/Kenmore by Frigidaire.  It uses a calrod heating element that will get hot enough to sizzle if touched with a wet finger.  Usually when that element gets mishapened and damages the tub it's due to cracked heater mounting nuts where the heater secures to the tub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics