Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sayuri Geisha

Dishwasher element overheat caused small crack in the bottom of the tub

4 posts in this topic

I have a Kenmore dishwasher. Noticed a leak. inside the washer, I noticed a warn area underneath the heating element, with about a 1/3 inch crack in it. We noticed that the heating element was bent towards the bottom of the tub" and it appeared that it had excessively heated this area underneath. 

My husband bent the heating element back up into its' normal position, (it was only down closer by 1/2 an inch or so, and used some DAP gasket maker to cover the burned area. Apparently it is 100% RTV silicone, resists temperatures up to 400 degrees farenheit, and is watertight.

Here is the question. How hot does it get in the dishwasher? Is the heater element going to ignite this stuff and cause a fire? Does anyone know if this is safe? I have a 5 year old, and just want to make sure we aren't exposing her to nasty chemicals., needless to say a house fire.

Thanks for your help!

:banana:  :dancin: PS. my 5 year old had to pick a few emoticons. Sorry....goes with the territory of dealing with dishwasher issues with a youth around.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

What is the model and serial number? Some dishwashers have been recalled due similar issues...

It is a Kenmore Model Number 587.16072200. Serial number TH24055241.

Thanks for your help!

Your dishwasher was manufactured for Sears/Kenmore by Frigidaire.  It uses a calrod heating element that will get hot enough to sizzle if touched with a wet finger.  Usually when that element gets mishapened and damages the tub it's due to cracked heater mounting nuts where the heater secures to the tub.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0