Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet front load washer tub is cocked or sagging

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

My wife was washing clothes when she heard a loud boom and when she went to the washer it was in the spin cycle and was vibrating badly and spinning at a faster than normal pace. When shut down she could smell burning rubber from where the top of the tub was rubbing the grey rubber seal. When I got home and checked it out it appears the whole tub is sagging in the back and there is about a 1/2" gap at the bottom between the tub and the grey seal and the top is right against the seal and slightly above it. The stainless basket is not loose from the tub so was thinking the spider arm may not be the issue. Shock absorbers are not broke nor the springs but not sure how to tell if they are just worm out are give causing the boom sound. looking in at the machine you can see the stainless basket rim and tub with the gap at the bottom and at the top you can't see the rim or tub as it is up against the rubber seal and slightly above it. Will try to post a picture when i figure out how. Thanks in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

model number?, any of the concrete weights fall off?

#3 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Definitely check those concrete counter balances. Even if you remove all of the shock absorbers the outer basket would still hang properly. They are simply shock absorbers to assist in steadying the basket during the cycle, they do not support any weight.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#4 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and took it apart this evening and found that one of the spider arms was broke, and the whole thing was very corroded. It is a Whirlpool duet model # WFW9200SQA12. I bought it around dec 2007. From what I have read that was a pretty good run but disappointing that is the life of one. Does anyone know if they have changed the spider material since it has been such a big issue? Are the newer models having the same issues? If so is there another brand anyone recommends.

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

If you purchased the unit in 2007 you need to contact whirlpool for service. Tell them it's making a 'Metal on Metel grinding noise during operation'. The authorized service center will need to replace the inner basket and both the front and rear outer tubs. They need to contact Whirlpool and also tell them it's making a 'Metal on Metal grinding noise during operation'. If the servicer and you don't use both of the terms and if the servicer doesn't say it needs all three of those parts then Whirlpool most likely wont pay for it. They have been pretty good about picking up those repair charges and are the only manufacturer that I know of doing it.

Edited by Spannerwrench, 29 June 2013 - 07:37 AM.

"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#6 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Tub and basket instructions.
https://www.dropbox....g/W10484432.pdf

"Suds are not good"

#7 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Spannerwrench,

So when I call do I act as if I didn't take it apart and know the spider arm is broke, but just use the " it is making a metal on metal sound". Or will they want to send someone out first and I have already dismantled it and the tech will not be able to tell them the same. If I could them to replace the tub and basket, that would be great as I could install it. I just know those 3 pieces are very expensive and don't want to put that much into an old one. I am going to call though and give this a shot. Thanks for your help.

#8 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

An authorized service company needs to diagnose it, your best bet is to reassemble it and act like you no nothing. Just describe the metal on metal noise and say you've read about a lot of complaints online about the same problem from others. If an authorized service company comes out and diagnoses it they (Whirlpool) may send the parts to your home at no charge. Then you can put them in yourself. But you will most likely pay the service call or diagnostic that the company charges. That's still better than a whole new unit.
"Suds are not good"

#9 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Okay. I was going through my owners manual and in the warranty page it only has a 1yr warranty. There is no where in it that says the stainless basket or tub are under warranty any longer than that. I had read a few places online where the tub had a lifetime and the tub 10 yrs. if that is the case and the spider arm is part of the stainless basket then seems like more people would be getting them replaced under warranty but not finding that to be the case. I am going to call Monday and see what happens.

#10 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

If I can't get them to cover this and have to start looking for a new one do you have any suggestions? Are there certain ones you wouldn't buy because you see them all the time for repairs. Or would you not even suggest a front loader. Thanks for all your info and help thus far spannerwrench

#11 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

We only suggest front loaders.... All of th top loaders designs have changed because of government regulations... And none of the designs are worth recommending.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

Subscribe to our newsletter and download your free appliance brand recommendation report: http://newsletter.appliantology.org/

#13 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thanks, I subscribed. I am just very hesitant to go back with a front loader. When i first begin trying to find my issue searching the Internet, the bearings going out and or the spider arm corroding and breaking looks like a huge issue. Is this precisely with the Whirlpool designs or is this what comes with all front loaders? I just don't want to be buying or replacing the tub every 5 yrs.

#14 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

This is common among all front loaders. But can mostly be avoided by using the proper type and amount of detergent.
"Suds are not good"

#15 SlopDaddy

SlopDaddy

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

If you purchased the unit in 2007 you need to contact whirlpool for service. Tell them it's making a 'Metal on Metel grinding noise during operation'. The authorized service center will need to replace the inner basket and both the front and rear outer tubs. They need to contact Whirlpool and also tell them it's making a 'Metal on Metal grinding noise during operation'. If the servicer and you don't use both of the terms and if the servicer doesn't say it needs all three of those parts then Whirlpool most likely wont pay for it. They have been pretty good about picking up those repair charges and are the only manufacturer that I know of doing it.

I've seen SpeedQueen take care of bearing issues out-of-warranty, also

#16 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

We only used HE and not much of it. We did however used the liduid HE for up until last year and swapped over to the powder. We had heard the powder would reduce the "moldy" smell. One other thing, I am going to call whirlpool monday and Lowes as well. i had a 4 yr extended warranty with them that expired on 6-13-2013 and the washer broke on 6-24-13. I called the 24 hr line for warrant service and they are going to have a manager from the warranty dept. call me monday. I am going to see if they will do anything since the spider arm corrosion occurred well before 6-24 when the arm finally give out.

#17 BigD72

BigD72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

i called whirlpool today and they will send out someone and said the basket and tub both can be replaced under warranty if that is what the AE factory service guy deems the problem is. Thanks everyone for your advice and responses. Spannerwrench, your are correct I will have to pay the service call which will still be cheaper than a new unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics