Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washer leaking from underneath.....kenmore model # 417-40042990

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pattigreen

pattigreen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stella

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I have a Kenmore stackable washer/dryer.  The washer is leaking from underneath.....I think during the spin cycle but not sure.  Initially it only happened on large loads but now it seems to be leaking every load I do.  Would sure like to repair it as opposed to purchasing a new set.  Kenmore no longer makes the washer that goes with my dryer so I would have to replace both. Ugh!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

The 1st thing I would check would be the door boot.  Open up all the folds on it and make sure you don't have a tear or a cut up one of the sides.  

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 pattigreen

pattigreen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

No...the door boot is fine.  That was the only thing I could figure out to check when it first started happening......I did find 85 cents though!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Remove the panel below the door and run the washer while you babysit it with a flashlight and a Bloody Mary. The source of the leak will soon reveal itself. Do tell.

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

As the Samurai always says, leaks are always visible.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#6 pattigreen

pattigreen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

It's 102 here today.....I think I'll make a gin and tonic and camp out in front of the washer.  Great advice/both the washer and the beverage....Thanks!

#7 pattigreen

pattigreen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

OK.....I can see the leak and there are 2.  there is a gray, hard plastic pan of sorts that has 5-6 bolts, that I can see, in it.  It's  kind of the same shape as the washer tub.  It has a slow steady drip from 2 of the bolts.  Is it possible to tighten the bolts (octagonal head).....if so I need to get a proper tool.....or does it sound as if that part is shot and needs to be replaced?  

Definitely going to need an additional G & T for this job.  I will start mixing while waiting for a response.   :wacko:

#8 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

picture?, sounds like its leaking from where the tubs bolt together, try tightening the bolts and see if it helps

#9 pattigreen

pattigreen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

I actually think it is leaking all along the seam but just dripping at the bolts.  The bolts are completely tight....no slop at all.  Tried to look underneath, with a mirror, at the seam but it's impossible to see.....especially during the spin cycle.

When the washer goes into the final spin it spray everywhere and a lot more water is forced out.....enough to puddle on both sides and front of the washer.  I may need to learn how to lay a new floor if I ever get this fixed!

Took a photo but can't, for the life of me, figure out how to attach it.

Is it possible to replace that entire plastic part?

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

You just need to tighten all the 20 or so bolts holding the two tub halves together.

It's not usually the ones at the bottom that start loosing up, (or the heads actually start digging into the plastic then letting the tub halves separate), the leak just appears at the bottom because that is were the water flows to.   You will usually see signs of splatter on both sides of the cabinet if it has been leaking for any length of time.

After removing the dryer off the top and remove the lower kickplate you should be able to reach all the bolts without taking anything else apart.  If I remember correctly those bolts have a 3/8" head.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics