Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MTW5740TQ0 - Basket Not Spinning/Spinning Slowly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aerialmedical

aerialmedical

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Goose Island Pere Jacques

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hello, all.  I am trying to diagnose and take-on a repair on my Maytag MTW5740TQ0.  The symptoms are as follows:

- Ran a normal load and found the load complete.  Water had drained out, but load items still water-logged.

- Removed load, selected Spin cycle, closed lid, and could hear/feel spinning action in the unit.

- Opened lid and observed inner-basket spinning to a stop, yet at a much slower speed than normal (explaining why load not spinning out water completely).

- As basket comes to a stop, a loud squeeling sound is emitted until basket stops.

- Turning the basket by hand clockwise or counter-clockwise also emits the squeeling sound as it spins.

- As I am turning the basket by hand, I can hear/feel what seems to be a little scratching friction below the basket, though I cannot determine what is causing that nor is it consistent in it's point of spin.

- Ran a test load and determined that the agitator is operating correctly throughout the cycle and all seems well up until the spin cycle.

- After the test load (light load), and a few more empty spin tests, it appears the basket has stopped spinning completely and now only the agitator is spinning during the spin cycle, though still getting that squeeling noise as spin comes to a stop.

Any ideas on what the culprit may be?  Lid switch seems to be okay and at first glance, don't see a torn-up coupler.  Gearcase?

Much thanks,

aerialmedical

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Make sure drive block is seated on the ears of the basket drive and the spanner nut is tight.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Drive block: Part number: AP2905773

Part number: AP2905773

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Or, clutch is worn out and/or oil contaminated by leak from gearcase

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics