Dear friends of appliantology dot org,
What follows is a saga of the Samsung washer WF328AAW/002. You may recall from previous postings of more sage appliantologists that the loud, grating noise from your washer just ahead of when you think it might be draining, or spinning, is probably owing to a failed drain pump. Following this noise, and a cessation of activity around the time when the water should come out and then your clothes spin a bit, after which you would happily place your clothes in the dryer, you realize that there is a #fail and you may begin to see a code on their washer that says 'nd' (which is short for "this thing is not draining on it own, so you better figure out how to remove water just employed to clean your clothes.”). My washer started making this noise in mid-May and I chose to ignore it for awhile, knowing that doom was about to appear and that I should get ready for intervention. Then it stopped routinely at 11 minutes ahead of the cycle finish and a 5 gallon pail (use the little hose that creeps out from the front to let it drain) was the only way a load could be completed.And if this happens to you, you would be wise to check this post (link), this post (link), as well as the Samurai’s own video (very aptly) titled Fixing a No Drain Problem in a Front Load Washer by Cleaning the Gookus out of the Drain Pump (linked here).
I thought, hey, I anticipate gookus is at least part of my issue (3 dogs, some cats, 8yo), so I will try that first. And indeed, there was sufficient gookus such that when I closed up the washer after cleaning out the hoses, I figured I had it beat. And you know what that means. So I came back here to learn that I should really have just ordered the part in the beginning. So I did. You think story over? You know.
If you have read these boards and you have a dreaded Samsung washer you may recall that of the model WF328AAW, there are not one but two modifications that took place within the run of the model (link). And that even Samsung may not know, when you call them, that this dreaded triple threat known as the 002 EXISTS. So I re-opened the washer with the brand new part in my hand (my first clue that something was amiss was that the drain pump was in the FRONT, not the back). And the part I had ordered (the DC96-01414A) looked way, way different than the drain pump I was encountering. Freakout!
Additional sleuthing uncovered that my version of the model takes the DC96-01700A (placed in front, and the twisty knob thing on the front of your dryer that you’re supposed to clean out every once in awhile is integral to this--if you haven’t, lately, pop open the little hatch on the front and clean it out, just to become familiar with the place where your drain pump is--and where you eventually will be replacing it). There is a really long tube in this drain pump.
Of course, in the process of taking the washer apart several times, my (not careful) other half, who usually does not get involved in my careful repairs, decided to butt in. And he stripped out the threading on the screws for the door latch. So, of course, I had to get another door latch (DC64-00519B in case you need it). Word to the wise...be gentle when you are working on these machines. They are fussy. In the meantime we used plumber's tape to get the screws in. Sigh. I always get out multiple plastic containers with separate compartments (call me retentive, sure) when I take apart the dryer or washer so that I can keep them all straight. There are about three, maybe four different kinds of screws. Being careful is an advantage here. Take photos as you go and or mark what screws go where. For peeps like me, it makes the putting back together process much less stressful (painter’s or masking tape to mark them is overkill, but overkill that I appreciate). War of the genders irrelevant when laundry is piling up.
Photos are attached. Once I ordered the right part, the replacement was fairly straightforward. But as the Samurai says, check to make sure you’ve cleaned the gookus out of the hoses around the drain pump (I can see where a quarter would fit it perfectly, thus jamming it--alas, not my issue).
Of course, your mileage may vary. But since I’ve gained so much learning here, I wanted to post this, with all the photos I could, in case you have the WF328AAW/002.
I also have the matching dryer, and have replaced the heating element three times. The last time I replaced the whole assembly (details on that homework assignment are posted here), and it helped. Then again, I’m only six months into the thing.
It’s strange. My dad has the same model of washer and dryer (think is the first variant, not my 3rd one, as they do not have the front hatch on the washer) and they have yet to have any problems with it. Generally speaking, engineers improve things. But here...I do not know.
Na zdravi! (Czech for 'cheers') and thanks to everyone who posts useful information here.