Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung WF328AAW (and esp WF328AAW/002) ND saga...posted here for your info and possible use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 narodsobe

narodsobe

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bernard

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Dear friends of appliantology dot org,

What follows is a saga of the Samsung washer WF328AAW/002. You may recall from previous postings of more sage appliantologists that the loud, grating noise from your washer just ahead of when you think it might be draining, or spinning, is probably owing to a failed drain pump. Following this noise, and a cessation of activity around the time when the water should come out and then your clothes spin a bit, after which you would happily place your clothes in the dryer, you realize that there is a #fail and you may begin to see a code on their washer that says 'nd' (which is short for "this thing is not draining on it own, so you better figure out how to remove water just employed to clean your clothes.”). My washer started making this noise in mid-May and I chose to ignore it for awhile, knowing that doom was about to appear and that I should get ready for intervention. Then it stopped routinely at 11 minutes ahead of the cycle finish and a 5 gallon pail (use the little hose that creeps out from the front to let it drain) was the only way a load could be completed.

And if this happens to you, you would be wise to check this post (link), this post (link), as well as the Samurai’s own video (very aptly) titled Fixing a No Drain Problem in a Front Load Washer by Cleaning the Gookus out of the Drain Pump (linked here).

I thought, hey, I anticipate gookus is at least part of my issue (3 dogs, some cats, 8yo), so I will try that first. And indeed, there was sufficient gookus such that when I closed up the washer after cleaning out the hoses, I figured I had it beat. And you know what that means. So I came back here to learn that I should really have just ordered the part in the beginning. So I did. You think story over? You know.

If you have read these boards and you have a dreaded Samsung washer you may recall that of the model WF328AAW, there are not one but two modifications that took place within the run of the model (link). And that even Samsung may not know, when you call them, that this dreaded triple threat known as the 002 EXISTS. So I re-opened the washer with the brand new part in my hand (my first clue that something was amiss was that the drain pump was in the FRONT, not the back). And the part I had ordered (the DC96-01414A) looked way, way different than the drain pump I was encountering. Freakout!

Additional sleuthing uncovered that my version of the model takes the DC96-01700A (placed in front, and the twisty knob thing on the front of your dryer that you’re supposed to clean out every once in awhile is integral to this--if you haven’t, lately, pop open the little hatch on the front and clean it out, just to become familiar with the place where your drain pump is--and where you eventually will be replacing it). There is a really long tube in this drain pump.

Of course, in the process of taking the washer apart several times, my (not careful) other half, who usually does not get involved in my careful repairs, decided to butt in. And he stripped out the threading on the screws for the door latch. So, of course, I had to get another door latch (DC64-00519B in case you need it). Word to the wise...be gentle when you are working on these machines. They are fussy. In the meantime we used plumber's tape to get the screws in. Sigh. I always get out multiple plastic containers with separate compartments (call me retentive, sure) when I take apart the dryer or washer so that I can keep them all straight. There are about three, maybe four different kinds of screws. Being careful is an advantage here. Take photos as you go and or mark what screws go where. For peeps like me, it makes the putting back together process much less stressful (painter’s or masking tape to mark them is overkill, but overkill that I appreciate). War of the genders irrelevant when laundry is piling up.

Photos are attached. Once I ordered the right part, the replacement was fairly straightforward. But as the Samurai says, check to make sure you’ve cleaned the gookus out of the hoses around the drain pump (I can see where a quarter would fit it perfectly, thus jamming it--alas, not my issue).

Of course, your mileage may vary. But since I’ve gained so much learning here, I wanted to post this, with all the photos I could, in case you have the WF328AAW/002.

I also have the matching dryer, and have replaced the heating element three times. The last time I replaced the whole assembly (details on that homework assignment are posted here), and it helped. Then again, I’m only six months into the thing.

It’s strange. My dad has the same model of washer and dryer (think is the first variant, not my 3rd one, as they do not have the front hatch on the washer) and they have yet to have any problems with it. Generally speaking, engineers improve things. But here...I do not know.

Na zdravi! (Czech for 'cheers') and thanks to everyone who posts useful information here.

narodsobe

Attached Files

--

Tamara 

at

Bad Dogs Farm, Walburg, Texas

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

A most excellent report, Sister narodsobe, and very pleasant reading to boot!  Muy domos for contributing this for the edumucation and emancipation of the future Samsung seekers.  And kudos for your persistence in seeing this through and getting it fixed!   :dude:

Pinning this topic for the time being for easy future reference.  

#3 tonytech81

tonytech81

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lime @ cold Tea

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Kool

#4 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

www.ieappliance.com

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Funny... I'm about to post and ask which board sends power to the pump.

Just realized this was pinned. Doh!

But nice job:)

Edited by KCTBURY, 11 February 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#5 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Last week I did a call on a Samsung washer with the ND error code. Went on call. The drain pump had that electrical burn smell. Replaced the pump. Still no drain. Hooked a jumper cord to new pump drained the washer. The customer had tried to use the washer after they had smelt that smell. "Oh that smell, Can't you smell that smell?" Lynyrd Skynyrd. They continued to try to use the washer, blew the main board.

Edited by richseattle56, 15 March 2014 - 07:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics