Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag mav3855aww washer slow or no spin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AZ_James

AZ_James

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:A&W

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I have a Maytag mav3855aww washer that stopped spinning the other day.  When I pressed down on the agitator while it was in the spin cycle it started to spin and has continued to spin at the correct time since then, but too slow to spin out the water.  I am thinking it is the bearing.  Can anyone let me know how to test and verify this?  Also how to replace it?  If I understand correctly no specialty tools are need to replace this is that correct?

Thanks

James in Mesa AZ

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Doing the bearing needs special tools but I don't think that's your problem. Start with the basics. Lean the machine back and remove the belt, check for burnt and or unusual wear. Check pulleys. The large center pulley has a cam that releases the brake for spin. One direction is agitate the opposite is spin. With the belt off you should be able to get the basket to spin by hand, if not it could be the pulley cam kit or a brake problem. Bearings usually get real loud but do not usually lock up unless you've neglected the noise for years. If the belt seems to be the only problem replace it but also check that the motor pivots properly, it slides on a plate to provide proper belt tension.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Trust bearing/hub kit is a very common repair on this machine:  http://www.repaircli...mber=MAV3855AWW

Basket-Drive-Hub-Kit-12002213-01560662.j

Brother JJ speaketh much wisdom: check the obvious things first, like the belt:  Part number: AP4024823

Part number: AP4024823

#4 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

while its in the spin cycle does the agitator go back and forth at all?

#5 AZ_James

AZ_James

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thank you for the ideas, I hope you all had a happy annd safe 4th of July.

When I went check it again the tub was not spinning, the agitator was agitating and no indication the belt was slipping.  Belt is old and worn.  There has been no squeeling sound from the bearing or belt.  At that point the belt was turning the pulleys.  When I turned the pulley by hand it would agitate the agitator but not the tub when I turned it in either direction.  In the spin cycle with the agitator agitating and the tub NOT turning I pressed down on the agitator and there was a clunck like something in the transmission engaging and the tub started to turn and the agitator to spin in the direction the tub was spinning but not a solid even spin.  It would spin hard and fast for about a half a turn then slow or not move for about a halv a turn then the had and fast and back to slow or stop.  It was like the backward part of the agitation was a stop or slow forward.  I then stopped the washer and unplugged it and tilted it back and turned the pulley one direction and then the other and both ways the agitator agitated and the tub did nothing.  Turned it on again the tub would spin with out me pressing down on the agitator again and the agitator would do its awkward spin and not agitate.  As note if I was not clear, when the tub was not turning and the agitator was agitating the belt was not slipping and the motor seems to adjust the tension by sliding with no problem.

Where do I go from here?

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Needs a new transmission, your money would be better spent on a good used Whirlpool direct drive machine.

What you have now is a FAKE Maytag and were never a very good machine to start with.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 AZ_James

AZ_James

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks, I was really hoping for something simple.  How can I tell if it is direct drive?  I am looking at both new and used what model should I look for?  Are any of the front load machines worth looking at or they just too prone to expensive and difficult repairs?

#8 AZ_James

AZ_James

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, I was really hoping for something simple.  How can I tell if it is direct drive?  I am looking at both new and used what model should I look for?  Are any of the front load machines worth looking at or they just too prone to expensive and difficult repairs?

I was able to find a good Maytag Legacy series washer that is only 3 years old.  Looks like it may be direct drive because I cannot see a belt.  It is only three years old cost me $50 which is not much more than a mimor repair would have cost.  I got it installed and did a couple of small loads and sound and looks like it is working great. 

Thanks again to all who posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics