Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Icemaker not producing ice

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stoth47

stoth47

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

Refrigerator is a GE TBX20DFB, circa 1983.  The icemaker appears from the schematic on the inside of the plastic cover to be a totally electro-mechanical model, which I believe is #907996.  This icemaker has been running continuously since new, so no complaints (30 years)!  From reading your FAQ's and using some common sense, it appears the overall best repair move to make is replace the ice maker with a Whirlpool unit.  Again, from your FAQ's it seems that the correct recommended Whirlpool unit is #4317943.

Is there a complete add-on kit available that includes this icemaker, so I can replace the inlet-shut off valve and anything else that needs to be replaced??

AND - What should I check on this particular icemaker BEFORE I spend the loot on a new icemaker?  Heck, this one worked for 30 years and if I can troubleshoot this one and just replace a part I could be golden!  What would the troubleshooting procedure be?

Please confirm my accuracy on the above Whirlpool part number and sanity on the rest of my inferences, deductions, etc. etc.... gone to ice cube trays in the mean time......

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Is the IceMaker filling with water, but not "harvesting" the Cubes ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

I would first check to see that the fridge is supplied with water and that the freezer is cold enough to make ice( around zero degrees, cold enough to keep ice cream firm). If you have confirmed that the icemaker itself is the problem, I wouldn't use the 4317943; it doesn't have a shut off arm included. The one off your old I/M won't fit. I'm also not sure if it will plug in where your old one did. I'm thinking a WR30X10093 would be better. I'd paste a link but it seems I can't anymore.

http://www.repaircli...0X10093/1399596

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 04 July 2013 - 02:14 AM.
Added part link.

#4 stoth47

stoth47

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I haven't check the water supply yet. /  Yes, the icemaker was full of ice but the cubes had not been harvested. 

Further info:  Old/inop icemaker is part# WRX30X0241, electro-mechanical unit.  The cross referenced replacement is part# WR30X10093, so you are correct.

What I have done:  Been reading a lot on the site and researching part numbers.  Also cleaned the coils on the bottom of the fridge (they were due) and checked that the evaporator fan in the freezer compartment is running properly.  I also put two ice cube trays in the freezer filled with water to find out if the freezer compartment was getting cold enough to make ice - it is.  One point though, when I checked later this morning, the ice cubes in the tray were somewhat melted together so it could be the defrost system is staying on too long.

I'll check the water shut off valve, but my educated guess is that it is the ice maker, since it had a full load of cubes in it (water had to turn on to fill the tray) but was not harvesting when I noticed it was not making ice..

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

check actual Freezer temperature..

usually needs to be +15F or colder to harvest the Cubes

ideally about 0F

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,953 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

I'd paste a link but it seems I can't anymore.

What happens when you try to paste a link?

From which site are you trying to paste a link?

Nothing has changed in your account to prevent you from posting links. You may have a browser problem or you're just doing something wrong.

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

Maybe one of the links to a site you don't allow to be posted here?  I think I remember E-bay not being allowed as a link at one time.

And maybe a couple of other competing parts sites?

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,953 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Maybe one of the links to a site you don't allow to be posted here?  I think I remember E-bay not being allowed as a link at one time.

And maybe a couple of other competing parts sites?

Correct on both counts, Brother Willie.  

#9 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

I can copy a link from Repair Clinic, where they have the cool pictures, onto my clipboard but when I right click in this reply window the choice "paste" isn't there. A restore back to a time when it did work... didn't work. Something changed in Firefox I think.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,953 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Weird.  Try it with another browser and let us know if that makes a difference.  

FWIW, I use Chrome as my browser of choice.  NSA prefers it, too, because it facilitates data collection on your browsing habits.  And as a patriotic, brain-washed Ameedican, I want to give up as much privacy as I possibly can to help my gubmint fight those false-flag terroristas and keep the nation safe for the international banking crime syndicate.  

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Your TBX20 is an oldie but a goodie.  Best to use the IM6 icemaker kit.  Comes with icemaker, single coil water valve and bin.  Included are all the tubing and connectors needed for installation in almost any GE fridge.  Also has an installation guide the size of a phone book.  If unit is cooling properly the IM6 kit is the way to go.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,953 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

IM6 Icemaker kit: http://www.repaircli...mbly/IM6/907996

Ice-Maker-Assembly-IM6-00782848.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics