Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Dishwasher Overflows into Spillway, Triggers Pump and 'Heated Dry' Light

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GCT123

GCT123

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hi, 

My GE Monogram dishwasher (model ZBD5700) seems to have a sporadic 'over fill' problem.  During the rinse cycle, near the end of the run, water will sometimes run down the spillway into the small overflow tray, causing the float to rise and the pump to kick on.  This is accompanied by the flashing 'Heated Dry' light.  The only way to stop the pump (and the light) is to manually empty the overflow tray.

I've check the water level, and it was below the 'Max' line.  Just to sure the water level wasn't the problem I reset the 'fill time' to the lowest setting - 75 seconds (factory setting is 80).  The water level is at the 'Min' line now (or maybe a little below).

I've watched underneath while the dishwasher runs and it goes through some of the fill/drain cycles without any issue (not sure how many fill/drain cycles there are).  Then, possibly in the final rinse (or near the end anyway) the water runs down the spillway.  I don't understand why it's happening, and why it doesn't happen every time.

I don't see any food/debris anywhere, and there isn't excessive detergent being used (in fact it happens with no detergent at all).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Haven't had any experience with this unit.  My first thought was oversudsing since the detergent dispenser doesn't open until the final wash cycle.  But if it leaks without detergent then problem lies elsewhere.  Was looking at that sump 4 stage filter which has been discontinued.  Double check venture and spray arms for any cracked or debris.  Will continue research on this end.

#3 GCT123

GCT123

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for your reply PDuff.  I don't see any cracks or debris.  Does the pressure switch control the water level?  If so, could the pressure switch be malfunctioning sometimes?  I disconnected the hose to the pressure switch and it was clear.  I blew into the switch and can hear it operating, but I'm not sure if that really proves it's working correctly.

Thanks for continuing to research. 

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

During the rinse cycle, near the end of the run, water will sometimes run down the spillway into the small overflow tray, causing the float to rise and the pump to kick on.  

Drain pump may be intermittently failing or doing incomplete pumpouts causing an overfill at the next fill.  

Ohms check on drain pump:  35 ohms ± 10%.  But this is not definitive, merely preliminary.  Can check good on ohms but still be bad (failing under load). 

Check basin between cycles for complete pumpout/water left behind.  

Service manual:  http://appliantology...service-manual/

#5 GCT123

GCT123

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Samurai, I think you're right about the drain pump.  Now it's not draining at all.  The pump is making kind of a humming/groaning sound continuously.  It continues to run unless I leave the door open (I haven't tried resetting the breaker yet).  The light blue 'box' on the side of the pump is pretty hot (not sure if that's normal).  

So does it sound like the whole pump unit is bad, or could it be some component of the pump?

Thanks

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Go ahead and replace the drain pump. Good to go, sailor! http://www.repaircli...19X10018/876923

#7 GCT123

GCT123

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Is the drain pump difficult to remove/replace?  It looks like it screws off from the sump housing (after disconnecting the drain hose and wires), but there doesn't appear to be enough clearance to rotate the entire unit.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics