Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer Agitator won't reinstall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orchard8

orchard8

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

I dismantled my Whirlpool LBR4232DW0 because it wasn't draining properly. Problem turned out to be a clogged and leaky pump, which I was able to replace THANK YOU APPLIANCE SAMURAI! However, this being my first DIY washer repair, I took the whole thing apart. I thought i had reinstalled the agitator correctly, but it was not agitating and had a disturbing habit of coming off the agitator shaft. I replaced the screw that was supposed to hold it on, and discovered the agitator is not sliding down onto the shaft as far as it must in order to engage the screw. Pushing, turning it while pushing, hitting it with a hammer--all have the same effect as yelling at it, which is to say none. Do I need to replace the agitator? File down the agitator shaft? Please help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

The agitator has to seat properly on the gearcase shaft before reinstalling the bolt.  Should be no more than 1/2" between bottom of agitator and floor of inner basket.  Inspect the inside top of the agitator for damage and make sure the grooves are clear.  Then carefully reinstall agitator by rotating it until the grooves of the agitator slide down onto the splines of the gearcase shaft.  Then install bolt.

#3 orchard8

orchard8

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Thank you, PDuff. Unfortunately once I have the agitator on partway, the gearcase turns when I turn the agitator, but the agitator is not on far enough for the bolt to engage, and the agitator doesn't turn when the machine is in use. The ridges inside of the agitator have plastic strings dangling from them, but the grooves are unobstructed and don't appear damaged. I will remove the agitator, rotate it slightly, and reinstall it as I think you are suggesting? I have tried this twice and it hasn't worked yet, but i will try it again.

#4 orchard8

orchard8

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

The agitator does not go down far enough for the screw to engage. There appears to be a horizontal ridge of plastic about half way up the grooved part of the agitator's interior, and this appears to be what is preventing the agitator from seating properly. The grooves on the agitator are partly engaged with the splines on the gearshaft, just not enough to work properly. Does anyone know if it is possible to expand the agitator with hot water or hot air so that it will go on the gear shaft all the way? What about filing down the plastic? Please help!

#5 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

What other parts did you take apart during your repair?

#6 orchard8

orchard8

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I took everything off except the motor + the basket. However, I did succeed in getting the agitator to seat properly. I put a load of laundry in the machine + this time when I rocked it back + forth it slide into place...this is the same thing I had done over a dozen tones before, with no success. Not sure why having clothes in the machine would make a difference, but it apparently did! Thank you Appliance Samurai + thank you, Sublime Masters of Appliantology!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics