Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Correctly Wire a 4-Wire Cord in an Electric Dryer Terminal Block

dryer electric terminal block 4-wire wiring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

There's a lot of confusion out there on how to wire a 4-wire cord on an electric dryer.  If you search the web, you find all kinda crazy and just plain wrong junk out there.  Heck, it's a veritable dookie storm of wrong info!  "Come in," says the Samurai and he'll give you shelter from the storm.  In this amazing episode of Appliantology TV, Samurai Appliance Repair Man shows you the right way-- contrasted with the wrong way-- to wire a dryer terminal block for the 4-wire dryer cord.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

also, if there is a brass or other metal "strap" connecting the center Neutral to the chassis / frame, remove it.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

also, if there is a brass or other metal "strap" connecting the center Neutral to the chassis / frame, remove it.

Excellent point, Brother Reginald! I should have mentioned that in the video. Thanks for bringing that out here.

See? That's the value-added power of posting stuff here for Brethren peer review!

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,415 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

And if you are going from a 4 prong to a 3 prong on a dryer or oven you must replace the strap or somehow connect the neutral to the body.

I wasn't aware of this until I took Basic electical class at ASTI. It was stated that if you work on an appliance and you see a strap with a 4 prong or don't see one with a three, you have an obligation to. correct it. Pretty strong language but I will. at least advise the customer and get him to sign off if not corrected. We all know the rule... last person who touches the appliance is likely to be held responsible for anything later found improper with it.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dryer, electric, terminal block, 4-wire, wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics