Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Refrigerator cooling emergency

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ok so I bought a used refrigerator off a fellow who works on appliances for a living. He has a business right down the road from me so i figure he knows what he is doing. I turned the refrigerator into a kegerator but to my surprise the refrigerator only gets as cold as 47 deg. The freezer is fine. I have cleaned and wiped petroleum jelly on the magnetic seal which was a tip i found on the internet. I just purchased a new keg of blue moon and I am stuck with a warm refridgerator. AAAargh.

Like I said the freezer gets cold and the fan runs and you can feel cold air coming out of the vent however there does not seem to be much cold air blowing into the refrigerator part. I was thinking maybe its blocked with frost put the whole refrigerator has only been plugged in for 3 days. Any advice? I have been trying to get in touch with the man I bought it from but he is away on vacation right now. Of course! Is it worth repairing if my guy is not willing to help or what do you think?

image_zpsda58f63b.jpg

image_zpsa423d0ef.jpg

image_zps3ca164d0.jpg

image_zps9428fc89.jpg

"The answer is out there"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

I would start with an air flow problem.  If the freezer is stone cold ... then the fresh food section (where the beautiful keg is), must be cold.  If the fan is running - then then air must not be getting to ... or flowing through the fresh food section.  Is anything blocking the return air ducts at the top?  These would be beside where the cold air is coming in at the middle top.  

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

I dont see anything blocking the return or supply air ducts. Is there a way to manually blow these out to be sure nothing is in there?

#4 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

Not easily ... what's in the freezer section?

#5 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Not much. Just a couple mugs. There seems to be some kind of cover over the fan with vents. I can snap a pic in the morning.

#6 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

I suspect Cold control - part # 2204605

I have changed out a few of these.

I use a steamer to check air passages … and it melts ice , without melting plastic or Styrofoam.

#7 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yep ... lets see it.

#8 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

Is this part very hard to change out? I have messed with the dial a bit and it does turn the refrigerator on and off but who knows if it really is adjusting temp. Whats an average cost of this part? I'm guessing around 50 bucks by the quick search I did. I paid $125 for the fridge. You think it would be worth it to try this? Thanks all for the quick replies. I really appreciate it.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

did you check the frost pattern on the Freezer Evaporator Coil to see if it's "air-clogged"

due to a Defrost problem ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

did you check the frost pattern on the Freezer Evaporator Coil to see if it's "air-clogged"

due to a Defrost problem ?

Not really sure how to do this. I'm not much of an appliance tech but I'm learning as I go. I'll try and search a little on it. thx

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Are you certain your freezer is fine? What's the temp inside the freezer? Have you looked at your evaporator and checked its frost pattern? Do you see frost anywhere?

Are you certain your door is activating a properly operating light switch?

btw... great pictures but it would be very helpful if you also typed your model number as oppose to only providing a picture of it. This will allow others to retrieve your post when searching for that model number. More importantly, it's a real pita for us researching your model when we can't cut and paste. This could severly limit the speed and number of responses to your post.

Here is the typed out model number for those who want it.. (hold on, gotta scroll up first...) Rt18...(gotta scroll up again, forgot the rest) Rt18Dkxkq03 (i think that's it... let me double check).. yep that's it.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#12 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

Are you certain your freezer is fine? What's the temp inside the freezer? Have you looked at your evaporator and checked its frost pattern? Do you see frost anywhere?

Are you certain your door is activating a properly operating light switch?

btw... great pictures but it would be very helpful if you also typed your model number as oppose to only providing a picture of it. This will allow others to retrieve your post when searching for that model number. More importantly, it's a real pita for us tyring to research your issue when we can't cut and paste. This could severly limit the speed and number of responses to your post.

Here is the typed out model number for those who want it.. (hold on, gotta scroll up first...) Rt18...(gotta scroll up again, forgot the rest) Rt18Dkxkq03 (i think that's it... let me double check).. yep that's it.

Thx sho nuff. I am stuck at work right now but I will be checking most of this in the morning. Like I said before not too sure how to check frost pattern but I'm learning. Thx for posting the model number. Never thought to do that for ease of searching. I will try and pop off the tower to check for obstruction. The light switch is working fine. I dont see frost anywhere but I will get a temp tomorrow of the freezer. The only reason I said the freezer was fine is I put a half full bottle of water in and its frozen solid. thx again.

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

easy to check frost pattern. just remove screws from the evap cover (back wall) inside freezer. You might have to remove the air tower first (and icemaker if equipped) . Snap a couple of picture of the evap coils.. three or more at least 20 minutes apart would be great.

You may want to turn cold control off before removing the panel. after panel is removed, turn fridge back on. Wait 20 minutes, Take a pictue (we want to make sure the fan is running that way we know fridge has not advanced into defrost mode) wait 20 minutes and snap another picture (fan should be running the entire time). One more photo would be great. Post them here.

btw because it's beer, this is not an emergency... we call it a code red catastrophic event with conditions set to Refcon 1. redalert.gif

#14 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

I will try this tomorrow. I know the fan runs because I saw it running and there was very cold air coming out into the freezer however not much going to the fridge part. Thanks again. There is no ice maker so getting to the coils might be easy. I'll check in the morning. You want me to let the coils actually defrost before I start the process you mentioned? Assuming there is frost. If I take the panel off and the frost pattern looks consistent across the coils is this process still necessary? Just asking. Thx

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

no... do not let it defrost. We wanna catch it in the act.

#16 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

ok great.

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

Need a number on the freezer temperature. If you're not at 0F in the freezer, then your beer compartment temps will never be cold enough, even with all the air flow in the world.

The rule for cold refrigerators is this: everything starts with zero.

#18 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Need a number on the freezer temperature. If you're not at 0F in the freezer, then your beer compartment temps will never be cold enough, even with all the air flow in the world.
The rule for cold refrigerators is this: everything starts with zero.

Here is a pic of the freezer. I stuck the thermometer in there to get a reading. The fridge was at 45 when i got home from work. Unfortunately i need to get some sleep so i will check the temp of the freezer when i wake up and check the frost pattern and post pics. Thank you so much for all the help.
image_zps1ce144c4.jpg

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

You will have to remove the floor panel first before removing evap cover. Should be only two screws.

#20 Cadensdad

Cadensdad

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well after a few hours sleep I checked the freezer and I had the thermometer in there all day and its only at 20 deg. Should I still try and get to the coils to see whats going on or am I stuck with a lemon? Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics