Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Cadensdad

Refrigerator cooling emergency

41 posts in this topic

Ok so I bought a used refrigerator off a fellow who works on appliances for a living. He has a business right down the road from me so i figure he knows what he is doing. I turned the refrigerator into a kegerator but to my surprise the refrigerator only gets as cold as 47 deg. The freezer is fine. I have cleaned and wiped petroleum jelly on the magnetic seal which was a tip i found on the internet. I just purchased a new keg of blue moon and I am stuck with a warm refridgerator. AAAargh.

Like I said the freezer gets cold and the fan runs and you can feel cold air coming out of the vent however there does not seem to be much cold air blowing into the refrigerator part. I was thinking maybe its blocked with frost put the whole refrigerator has only been plugged in for 3 days. Any advice? I have been trying to get in touch with the man I bought it from but he is away on vacation right now. Of course! Is it worth repairing if my guy is not willing to help or what do you think?

image_zpsda58f63b.jpg

image_zpsa423d0ef.jpg

image_zps3ca164d0.jpg

image_zps9428fc89.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would start with an air flow problem.  If the freezer is stone cold ... then the fresh food section (where the beautiful keg is), must be cold.  If the fan is running - then then air must not be getting to ... or flowing through the fresh food section.  Is anything blocking the return air ducts at the top?  These would be beside where the cold air is coming in at the middle top.  

I dont see anything blocking the return or supply air ducts. Is there a way to manually blow these out to be sure nothing is in there?

Not easily ... what's in the freezer section?

Not much. Just a couple mugs. There seems to be some kind of cover over the fan with vents. I can snap a pic in the morning.

I suspect Cold control - part # 2204605

I have changed out a few of these.

I use a steamer to check air passages … and it melts ice , without melting plastic or Styrofoam.

Yep ... lets see it.

Is this part very hard to change out? I have messed with the dial a bit and it does turn the refrigerator on and off but who knows if it really is adjusting temp. Whats an average cost of this part? I'm guessing around 50 bucks by the quick search I did. I paid $125 for the fridge. You think it would be worth it to try this? Thanks all for the quick replies. I really appreciate it.

did you check the frost pattern on the Freezer Evaporator Coil to see if it's "air-clogged"

due to a Defrost problem ?

did you check the frost pattern on the Freezer Evaporator Coil to see if it's "air-clogged"

due to a Defrost problem ?

Not really sure how to do this. I'm not much of an appliance tech but I'm learning as I go. I'll try and search a little on it. thx

Are you certain your freezer is fine? What's the temp inside the freezer? Have you looked at your evaporator and checked its frost pattern? Do you see frost anywhere?

Are you certain your door is activating a properly operating light switch?

btw... great pictures but it would be very helpful if you also typed your model number as oppose to only providing a picture of it. This will allow others to retrieve your post when searching for that model number. More importantly, it's a real pita for us researching your model when we can't cut and paste. This could severly limit the speed and number of responses to your post.

Here is the typed out model number for those who want it.. (hold on, gotta scroll up first...) Rt18...(gotta scroll up again, forgot the rest) Rt18Dkxkq03 (i think that's it... let me double check).. yep that's it.

Are you certain your freezer is fine? What's the temp inside the freezer? Have you looked at your evaporator and checked its frost pattern? Do you see frost anywhere?

Are you certain your door is activating a properly operating light switch?

btw... great pictures but it would be very helpful if you also typed your model number as oppose to only providing a picture of it. This will allow others to retrieve your post when searching for that model number. More importantly, it's a real pita for us tyring to research your issue when we can't cut and paste. This could severly limit the speed and number of responses to your post.

Here is the typed out model number for those who want it.. (hold on, gotta scroll up first...) Rt18...(gotta scroll up again, forgot the rest) Rt18Dkxkq03 (i think that's it... let me double check).. yep that's it.

Thx sho nuff. I am stuck at work right now but I will be checking most of this in the morning. Like I said before not too sure how to check frost pattern but I'm learning. Thx for posting the model number. Never thought to do that for ease of searching. I will try and pop off the tower to check for obstruction. The light switch is working fine. I dont see frost anywhere but I will get a temp tomorrow of the freezer. The only reason I said the freezer was fine is I put a half full bottle of water in and its frozen solid. thx again.

easy to check frost pattern. just remove screws from the evap cover (back wall) inside freezer. You might have to remove the air tower first (and icemaker if equipped) . Snap a couple of picture of the evap coils.. three or more at least 20 minutes apart would be great.

You may want to turn cold control off before removing the panel. after panel is removed, turn fridge back on. Wait 20 minutes, Take a pictue (we want to make sure the fan is running that way we know fridge has not advanced into defrost mode) wait 20 minutes and snap another picture (fan should be running the entire time). One more photo would be great. Post them here.

btw because it's beer, this is not an emergency... we call it a code red catastrophic event with conditions set to Refcon 1. redalert.gif

I will try this tomorrow. I know the fan runs because I saw it running and there was very cold air coming out into the freezer however not much going to the fridge part. Thanks again. There is no ice maker so getting to the coils might be easy. I'll check in the morning. You want me to let the coils actually defrost before I start the process you mentioned? Assuming there is frost. If I take the panel off and the frost pattern looks consistent across the coils is this process still necessary? Just asking. Thx

no... do not let it defrost. We wanna catch it in the act.

Need a number on the freezer temperature. If you're not at 0F in the freezer, then your beer compartment temps will never be cold enough, even with all the air flow in the world.

The rule for cold refrigerators is this: everything starts with zero.

Need a number on the freezer temperature. If you're not at 0F in the freezer, then your beer compartment temps will never be cold enough, even with all the air flow in the world.

The rule for cold refrigerators is this: everything starts with zero.

Here is a pic of the freezer. I stuck the thermometer in there to get a reading. The fridge was at 45 when i got home from work. Unfortunately i need to get some sleep so i will check the temp of the freezer when i wake up and check the frost pattern and post pics. Thank you so much for all the help.

image_zps1ce144c4.jpg

You will have to remove the floor panel first before removing evap cover. Should be only two screws.

Well after a few hours sleep I checked the freezer and I had the thermometer in there all day and its only at 20 deg. Should I still try and get to the coils to see whats going on or am I stuck with a lemon? Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help.

... Should I still try and get to the coils to see whats going on

that may be the best test

Should I still try and get to the coils to see whats going on or am I stuck with a lemon? 

I think the fat lady done sang her swang song on this pig-dawg.  

http://youtu.be/dIVfbylUU-M

Watch on YouTube here.

Oh no... not the Kegerator. This calls for drastic measures... either drink all the beer before it becomes stale or maybe remove the sealed system from your kitchen fridge and somehow transplant it to the Roper... otherwise a tragedy of epic proportions, worthy of a big screen adaptation.

Beercalypse Now

Well I bit the bullet and ordered an Edgstar ultra low temp dual tap black kegerator. $599 shipped. Suppose to be able to go to as low as 34 degrees. The boss even gave me the go ahead on the deal. Just need to work a little overtime. So I am off to work I go! Thanks for the help guys! The refrigerator guy down the road might have a Roper laying in his yard in pieces very shortly. Lol

image_zpscde6c58f.jpg