Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Refrigerator Model #GSHS5KGXCCSS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bogreen

bogreen

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi,

This unit blew a capacitor on the main computer board.

I replaced the computer and the f/f and freezer sensors and started it up.

Compressor on and coils cooling nicely.

But, no evaporator fan running.

They had alot of water overflow the icemaker because the spout became dislodged and I think

it was squirting water everywhere from the look of all the ice buildup in the freezer.

Maybe it went throug the vents also and burned out the evap fan motor, also causing the computer

to fail.

I guess an evap fan motor also needs to be changed.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

When you opened the freezer door to see if the fan is running, did you hold down the light switch with your finger? The evap. fan stops when the door is opened.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,646 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

If that evap fan motor got wet, you should go ahead and replace it before it takes out the new muthaboard:  http://www.repaircli...er=GSHS5KGXCCSS

Evaporator-Fan-Motor-WR60X10307-01093918

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,979 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

Did you notice a burned resistor under the j2 connector on the original board? More than likely the water from the dislodged spout cascaded on top on the evap and created a huge iceberg (looks more like a large iced over ski run) on top of the evap. This eventually obstructed the fan blades which in turn burned out your board. Been there.

You have to test/replace the fan motor ASAP or a new board purchase is in your future.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

You just to got to hate G.E.They have another evaporator fan mother Part # that uses there common mother board to use in the freezer .Just when does it stop.Years ago when i work for them they would talk about how if we save one screw that this would save us a lot of money.What happen to this.

I am lucky that i live in a area that it would be rare that i could not get on the computer from my truck to look up parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics