Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Refrigerator Model# FPHB2899LF5; Water dripping behind ice maker

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

There is water dripping down the back wall of the refrigerator from the ice maker.  They have turned off the unit and I have a few questions, as I have never worked on this type of ice maker.

1. How do you turn the ice maker on and off?

2. How do you cycle the ice maker?

3. Once you cycle the ice maker, how can you see the fill tube and its functions?

4. This does not look like a easy fix, has anybody delt with this issue?

5. Service manual?

Thanks,

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Is there ice building up by the fan motor at the rear? There is a small evaporater behind that. When I had this issue frigidairre had a seal kit and recommend changing the def tstat on the little evap. There is also a drain hole for that evap that may be clogged. I know you need to go into diagnostic to cycle it but I don't have the manual. I may have one lieing around at home. I'll check when I get home.

#3 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I did see a tiny little ice droplet coming down from the back of the ice compartment, back wall of FF section.

I didn't see any ice otherwise, likely because I didn't know how to get the thing apart.

How do I get the outer housing off, or do i need to in order to get to the little evaporator.

So this has its own fan, defrost heater, timer etc?

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

I think there is 2 scews on the side wall inside. Possibly two screws under the bottom. Then there is 2 up top for the ice maker harness cover. The whole box should slide out. Unhook the wire harnesses. The little evap has a plastic cover to but you can see if it is iced up. If it isn't, then you may just have an ice maker issue. Most of the problems I've had is that evap freezing up stopping the fan motor from turning and no ice production. We didn't work on a lot of that style in the past yeat because Sears stopped running frigidairre warranties. Just be careful not to kink the lines to that evap. Only pull it a little from the wall if you need to change all of those seals. Make sure it is completely defrosted then that plastic bracket can slide off once you unhook the harness in it.
They have a seal kit to replace on the back and top of that box. As well as the evap cover behind it. It's not near as bad as the old finger style ice maker.

#5 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Sounds tricky, is this something a rookie should take on?

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Well, I've only worked refrigerators for 2 years myself. I did it just fine the first time. It looks like a pain but isn't really all that bad.

#7 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'll give it a shot...

Do you have a part number for the seal kit, and does this prevent water from leaking out when it should be going down the drain tube?

#8 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Well from what I have seen is the drain freezes up there if the evap is freezing. Need to make sure it is cleared. Also that seal is in the kit that goes around the drain. I'll try to find the kit.

#9 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

I went back today and discovered some ice on the fan, auger motor and upper part of evaporator.  Someone has turned off the ice maker, so I don't know if the evaporator keeps cooling, or if there is a valve that cuts off coolant?

I have pics of what I found, attached.

1. I figured out that someone has changed the thermistat/limit because there are splices with heat shrink.  I tested the limit and it was open, I don't know if this is normally open or normally closed when at room temp?  I had steamed and blow dried the ice off, so thats why room temp.

2. The defrost heater tested good at around 180 Ohms of resistance.

3. I'm starting to think that there could be two sources of leaking, one at the drain seal area and one at the evaporator area above?

4. If I can figure out the ice build up issue, could I silicone the unit to the back wall to garantee that the gasket won't leak?

Oh, I forgot to ask, does the upper ice formation look like a sealed system leak? the rest of the evaporator was clear of frost when I got to it.

Attached Files

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

I'm suspecting a weeping water inlet valve.  Try shutting off the water supply to the refrigerator and see if that stops any further ice formation.  

#11 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I see that the inlet for water is sort of in the middle of the top of the compartment.  Are you saying that the weeping water is backing toward the evaporator?  I can see this happening.

So based on the photos, your not thinking its a sealed system issue?

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm just speculating based on what I've seen in some LG refrigerators... water coming in through the fill spout can get thrown around to weird places by the air movement caused by the evaporator fan.  

Sealed system issue:  accurate freezer temperature measurement tells the story here.  Looking for 0F.  If the freezer can't get down to 0F, then we start looking for condenser issues or suspecting sealed system problems.  

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well, well, well.  I see that this flex tray icemaker is Frigidaire's answer to replacing the evaporator icemaker.  I also see that they have changed the ice room to help eliminate warm air intrusion from the refrigerator compartment.  Would recommend the seal kit as advised by Brother BryanS.  Also the timing could be off on the icemaker, calling for water before the flex tray is in proper position.

#14 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm all about that, but what could I do if the timing is off on the water valve?  Is there some kind of adjustment?

Might you have the seal kit Part Number?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics