Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch Ecosense dishwasher SHE6AF06UC error E24 and E21

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tacitus

Tacitus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Two problems, possibly unrelated.

E24:

The first is the error code E24 popping every time the dishwasher is run for about a year. After about two minutes of run time the the code comes up and the cycle stops. I have found I can get around it by letting the dishwasher run for 1 minute, then turning it off and on again. It will then go through the rest of the cycle without trouble. The code seems to be related to pumping water out of the dishwasher, but there seems to be no trouble with the pump or a clog in the line, as the first step in the cycle is to pump out excess water and that works fine. FYI, the dishwasher is hooked up to a garbage disposal, so no air gap.

E21: I said the dishwasher continued through the rest of the cycle, but that is no longer the case. Just recetly it started popping E21 at about 6 minutes into the 2 hour 20 minute cycle. This has so far been intermittent and I have no idea what causes it.

So, any ideas of what to do or where to look?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tacitus

Tacitus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Oh, and the handle/front panel has cracked down the middle for about 6 months. Too late to be reason for E24 and too early for E21. Might replace it at the same time as anything else I do though. Not sure if it is worth it if the thing is going to just crack again. Anyone have any experience if this is very common? It seems to be a direct result of normal opening force on the handle.

#3 Tacitus2

Tacitus2

Samanera

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Could really use sme help with this, or at least a direction to look. I can't even do normal troubleshooting of the problems as, near as I can tell, everything works except the computer is detecting some errors I cannot decipher.

Anyone know where to look for what the error codes mean? None of the manuals I have found on this site mention what I am seeing, and I cannot find repair manuals anywhere else.

Failing that, what could I start doing to try to diagnose the problem?

Does anyone have a list of the order of what happens during a cycle and how long it takes? That might help me to lock onto the problem based on what is going on when the error occurs.

Oh, and this is the same guy as the OP. I had to start a new account to upgrade as there was some sort of troulbe migrating the old account from the previous host for the boards or something.

Thanks

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

Drain pump error and circulation pump error.

Diagnostic test procedure.

Press and hold “>” and Delay buttons, then turn dishwasher on. Left program light will flash, 2nd program light from left will be lit and digital display will show “P0”). Press “>” button to start program. Last 8 error codes will show. Press “>” button to scroll through error codes. Turn dishwasher off to exit program.

Attached File  image.jpg   230.8KB   0 downloads

Drain pump error codes
Same LED display shows for error codes E:23 – E:25.

Digital display
 E:23 Coil error
 System check of drain pump motor coil failed, functional safety error.
 Replace drain pump
 E:24 No drain flow possible
 Drain pump is running but unable to remove the water, drain system blockage.
 Check for blockage of drain hose, pump, backflow valve
 E:25 Blockage
 Drain pump unable to rotate, attempts to clear failed.
 Check for debris at drain pump.

Heat pump error codes (circulating)
Same LED display shows for error codes E:20 – E:21.

Digital display
 E:20 Heater error
 Heater system check failed;functional safety error.
 Replace heat pump
 E:21 Blockage
 Heat pump unable to circulate and clear blockage.
 Replace heat pump

Edited by Spannerwrench, 12 July 2013 - 06:42 AM.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,169 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Bosch Ascenta Service Manual:  http://appliantology...ruction-manual/

#6 Tacitus2

Tacitus2

Samanera

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

 Replace heat pump

Thank you very much. E 24 is odd since the first thing the dishwasher does is drain excess water and it seems to do it like a champ. No detectable blockage and the water flows well. Do you know if there is a sensor the dishwasher uses to detect drainage? That might be a place to look. I will also examine all interal tubing for any sort of blockage and  make sure there is nothing stuck in the pumps.

#7 Tacitus2

Tacitus2

Samanera

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Bosch Ascenta Service Manual:  http://appliantology...ruction-manual/

Great. Unfortunately I have reached the limit of downloads I can do in a week from looking through other manuals (wasn't aware Ascenta was the model name as it doesn't appear on the dishwasher or manual anywhere). I will take a look at it as soon as I can. Does it have a list of expected resistances in the pumps so I can check if those are the problem?

Thanks

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Drain Pump 90 Ω between each of the (3) Windings

Heat Pump 13 Ω between each of the (2) Wires

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Clearing error codes

To clear error codes, run the customer service test program.

Error code E:24 for drain obstructions

If a dishwasher doesn’t drain properly and / or shows an E:24 error code ( ), the problem usually is not with the control
or drain pump. To solve the issue, (1) the control must be reset and (2) the obstructions generating the error code must be cleaned out.

To reset the control

1. With the door closed and the dishwasher turned on, press and hold the Start button for ~ five (5) seconds -- the display should show "01" or "00". Press the On/off button (turning the dishwasher off) and the control should be
reset.
2. If step one (above) didn’t work, remove the toe kick and disconnect the drain pump harness from the drain pump.
Make sure the connector isn’t touching anything – tape the connector if necessary. With the door closed, press the
On/off button to turn the dishwasher on. You should hear the control turn on and control relays click on and off. Wait
about 30 seconds with the power on, then press the On/off button to turn the dishwasher off. With the power off,
reconnect the drain pump harness and reinstall the toe kick. With the door closed, press the On/off button to turn
the dishwasher on. The control should be reset.

Clearing obstructions

With the dishwasher installed and drain hose connected, open the door to the dishwasher and remove the sump filter. Add water to the sump until it is filled. Then gently lift up on the safety float until the float switch closes (~ 1⁄4”). The drain pump should turn on and drain the water out.

1. If the drain pump turns on, but does not drain, check the internal and external drain hoses for kinks or obstructions. Make sure the drain pump cover is properly snapped in place. If the drain hose is attached to a garbage disposal, make sure the disposal plug is removed and the disposal doesn’t have any obstructions.
2. If the water drains out completely, release the safety float If water flows back into the sump, the backflow
(check) valve may be stuck open. Clean out the backflow valve and sump. If necessary, replace the backflow valve.

3. If the drain pump doesn’t turn on, remove the drain pump cover, check for obstructions and make sure the pump Impeller turns freely.
4. Carefully remove the suction cap from the sump and make sure the heat pump impeller turns freely (using a 5 mm nut driver).
TIP: Opening and closing the door bypasses the E:24 error code, allowing the dishwasher to continue in the wash cycle (unless it is reset).

The heater, temperature sensor and othe components are part of the recirculating motor assembly.
"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#10 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Drain pump

There is a single 3-pin connector, connecting to the 3-pole BLDC pump motor.
Resistances as follows:
1 – 2: 90 Ω (@ 72 ºF)
2 – 3: 90 Ω (@ 72 ºF)
3 – 1: 90 Ω (@ 72 ºF)

Heat pump terminal measurements

There are two connectors, 7-pin and 3-pin.
7-pin connector (heater / NTC’s / pump ground)
The 7-pin connector connects to the heat pump heater, NTC’s and ground.
7 – NTC 1
6 – NTC common
5 – NTC 2
4 – Line (hot)
3 – X1 (heater common)
2 – Neutral
1 – Ground

3-pin connector (3-pole BLDC motor)
The 3-pin connector connects to the 3-pole BLDC motor. The power control module controls motor speed, starting and stopping.

Edited by Spannerwrench, 12 July 2013 - 02:37 PM.

"Suds are not good"

#11 Tacitus2

Tacitus2

Samanera

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

 Replace heat pump

OK, so based on the information you guys gave me I took the system apart and examined all hoses. They were all clear. I took off the drainage pump and that was clear. I took off and took apart the circulation pump as much as possible and found a thin piece of plastic wedged in there. Boom. Put everything back together, but still got the same errors.

Drain Pump 90 Ω between each of the (3) Windings

Heat Pump 13 Ω between each of the (2) Wires

Cecked all the resistances and the pumps seem good.

Clearing error codes

To clear error codes, run the customer service test program.

Error code E:24 for drain obstructions

If a dishwasher doesn’t drain properly and / or shows an E:24 error code ( ), the problem usually is not with the control
or drain pump. To solve the issue, (1) the control must be reset and (2) the obstructions generating the error code must be cleaned out.

To reset the control

1. With the door closed and the dishwasher turned on, press and hold the Start button for ~ five (5) seconds -- the display should show "01" or "00". Press the On/off button (turning the dishwasher off) and the control should be
reset.
2. If step one (above) didn’t work, remove the toe kick and disconnect the drain pump harness from the drain pump.
Make sure the connector isn’t touching anything – tape the connector if necessary. With the door closed, press the
On/off button to turn the dishwasher on. You should hear the control turn on and control relays click on and off. Wait
about 30 seconds with the power on, then press the On/off button to turn the dishwasher off. With the power off,
reconnect the drain pump harness and reinstall the toe kick. With the door closed, press the On/off button to turn
the dishwasher on. The control should be reset.

Clearing obstructions

With the dishwasher installed and drain hose connected, open the door to the dishwasher and remove the sump filter. Add water to the sump until it is filled. Then gently lift up on the safety float until the float switch closes (~ 1⁄4”). The drain pump should turn on and drain the water out.

1. If the drain pump turns on, but does not drain, check the internal and external drain hoses for kinks or obstructions. Make sure the drain pump cover is properly snapped in place. If the drain hose is attached to a garbage disposal, make sure the disposal plug is removed and the disposal doesn’t have any obstructions.
2. If the water drains out completely, release the safety float If water flows back into the sump, the backflow
(check) valve may be stuck open. Clean out the backflow valve and sump. If necessary, replace the backflow valve.

3. If the drain pump doesn’t turn on, remove the drain pump cover, check for obstructions and make sure the pump Impeller turns freely.
4. Carefully remove the suction cap from the sump and make sure the heat pump impeller turns freely (using a 5 mm nut driver).
TIP: Opening and closing the door bypasses the E:24 error code, allowing the dishwasher to continue in the wash cycle (unless it is reset).

The heater, temperature sensor and othe components are part of the recirculating motor assembly.

So I did the reset and am no longer getting the E21. I have continued to monitor the dishwasher and it has not come back. I still continue to get E24 though. I tried your process for clearing obstructions and the system drained well with no backflow. No idea why E24 still comes up as the performance of the dishwasher does not seem in any way impaired. The tip you provide is exactly what I discovered by accident, though I did it by turning the machine off and on again just before the code would have come on.

So, thanks to your help the dishwasher is working, but it still is giving me an error message I see no reason for. This is something I could live with if I cannot find a way to take care of it, but it is bothersome.

#12 centralappliance1

centralappliance1

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hey, I just did this one with the E24 code, if it is pumping out fine and does it in the first 2 minutes replace the lower board on the bottom right of the unit. That is the issue.

#13 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

The cracking handle issue is beggining to be a common issue, it's wedged in the door too tight and adding 3 screws to the top of it is overkill. Getting the old handle out is very difficult, getting the new one in is easier. I have already replaced a few of these handles under warranty. I try not to tighten the screws too tight to prevent the new handles from cracking.
Scott Wolf

#14 Tacitus2

Tacitus2

Samanera

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Update and more help needed please:

I repaired the broken handle when I found a reasonable deal on the part. With gentle treatment it seems to be fine.

E24 no longer shows up.

E21 intermittently showed up. Seems to show up around 2-3 min in or 6-7 min in depending on the instance. Turning it off and on at 1 min into the cycle reduced the likelihood of this happening. Now it is at the point where it always gives this error and is unusable.

I have run the self-diagnostic, it gives no errors.

I have checked the lines and pump and they all seem to be clear of obstructions. Have checked and the pump itself seems clear of obstruction.

Ohmed out the circulation pump and all branches read about 16 Ohms. This seems a bit high, but it is an analog multimeter and may be a bit inaccurate. Them all reading identically suggests it is OK.

Removed the motor/impellor from the housing and determined that the impellor can rotate, but it seems to have a lot of friction and be slightly off-center due to the magnet on the motor. Not sure if this is normal or not.

I had tried replacing the lower control board mentioned by centralappliance1 back when dealing with the E24 error a year ago to no effect, so unlikely it is that now.

Anyone have an idea of what else to check out or is just time to start trying to replace parts? If so, I am looking at replacing the pump first (which of course is a single unit with the heater, not purchasable separtely and over 25% of the cost of the whole machine), and if that fails then the lower control board.

#15 acadiel

acadiel

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Hey, I just did this one with the E24 code, if it is pumping out fine and does it in the first 2 minutes replace the lower board on the bottom right of the unit. That is the issue.

You might be on to something here.  i just found this:

http://www.designnew...p?doc_id=270603

I'm wondering if a lot of people are having these issues; I have had for a while.  Blew out the drain hose (no problems there), replaced the drain pump, checked for obstructions over and over, and I, like the OP, can only avoid the E:24 by opening the door within the first minute and shutting it again.

#16 Tacitus2

Tacitus2

Samanera

• Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Update: Replaced the heater/circulation motor unit and the dishwasher works fine. My suspicion is the impellor unit was draggy for some ereason, perhaps it had come off of the interior inaccessible bearings, and the dishwasher registered this as a blockage. The parts site associated with this website was a good deal all around.  Circulation pump Part number: 00669135

Part number: 00669135

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 24 July 2014 - 08:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics