Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM2277HS spin and UE code issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hello and this place is a great resource. I had to change the bellows and hot water inlet valve due to leaks. I have since not been able to get the machine to run a full cycle. I get the UE code, which led me to understand two truths. We were using way too much HE detergent, and at the HALL sensor was likely suspect.

Serial number: 607KWAT02320

I ordered the replacement from repairclinic and with the videos had it installed in no time. Tried running vinegar to get the "drum cleansing and purification" process started. I have also bought the Tide Drum Cleaner pouches which I plan on using as well.

My machine will run most of its cycle, but gets hung at "spin mode". It never gets up to speed, but keeps draining and checking the load by spinning a few rotations each way then reversing. My last efforts have been following an old post from here. Tossed in a single towel and did the "rinse and spin" mode. It got down to 10 minutes showing and ran there for probably ten minutes before shutting down flashing and beeping the UE code.

I have done the best I can to verify it is level and true on garage concrete floor. There doesn't seem to be any true out of balance, but I am open to thoughts. Drum spins freely by hand. I have unplugged, spun both direction by hand. The lights cycle and then wait ten minutes plug back in. Still no joy.

Is this the main board? The HALL sensor bad? I appreciate your help in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Channeling our ailing Brother john63 (please pray for his speedy recovery): 

UE: Unbalance Error

This is an older (2005 or older) LG washer that uses a sensor mounted at the rear/back of the washer.

This washer was also intended for use on *concrete* flooring (not wood).

Unplug washer

Looking at the back of the washer---remove the access panel

On the right side---you'll notice a spring-loaded arm that is mounted on the washer "shell".

This is the BALL SENSOR.

If the tub *bumps* this sensor frequently (or severely)---an error will be displayed and the spin cycle will be aborted.

Examine the back of the washer (sheetmetal)---if it's *bent* inward---this will cause numerous false imbalance errors. It may be necessary to pull out the sheetmetal (to it's normal position).

Another option would be to remove the plastic arm assembly entirely from the back of the washer---remove a single screw that secures the black BALL SENSOR---and then secure the BALL SENSOR to the sheetmetal of the washer (may need to drill 2 holes). Use nylon wire ties to secure the BALL SENSOR in an upright/normal position (same position as it was in the bracket).

This will eliminate nuisance/triggered errors.

This BALL SENSOR was discontinued by LG in favor of a much more reliable/accurate *software* system that monitors imbalanced loads.

#3 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Samurai,

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe however based on purchase date and serial number mine was made in July 2006. That saId, I don't recall seeing a tensioned arm when I removed the back panel to change the Hall/RPS sensor. I will pull it back apart tomorrow and check again.

Is there a way to check the main board? I verified tonight that the pump is indeed flowi freely when it drains, which was one other thought I had since it seems to stall in Rinse/Spin sessions throwing the UE code.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Are you saying you're does not have the ball sensor: http://www.repaircli...Number=WM2277HS

Sensor-4811ER3001A-01047694.jpg

RepairClinic pulls it up for your model but it could be an error.  Looking at diagrams for your model, I don't see one.  Can you confirm?  

Some things that will trigger the UE code:

• The load is too small. 
• The appliance is tilted. 
• Laundry is gathered to one side. 
• Non distributable things are put into the drum. 

The hall sensor acts to detect load balance as well.  Given the detergent use history in this machine, the hall sensor may have been affected.  You can test the hall sensor if you're bored and not in a hurry to get it fixed or just go ahead and replace it. 

Hall sensor part link with how-to-replace video:  http://www.repaircli...Number=WM2277HS

Rotor-Position-Sensor-6501KW2002A-014642

#5 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Samurai,

I can see somethng that looks like that by leaning over machine with top off. I will take back panel off and work through the steps above. I will also order a replacement as my back panel isn't bent. I make sure to use both model and serial number when ordering to prevent wrong part if at all able.

Regarding the "replaced with software" I take it that is not a retrofit option for me? Thanks again

#6 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ok, got it removed from the sheetmetal, which all looks to be as original shaped. I noticed that the "ball" rattled very freely even with signs of moisture and corrosion from the previous water leak on the springs. I currently have it mounted flat on the wall and running another "Rinse & Spin" cycle to redneck check it for function.

Hopefully this gets it working and I can order the replacement.

Are there any recommended service techs for the 77380 zipcode if not? I can't do three weeks without the washer while I try to fix, or HH6 is liable to veto me.

#7 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

No such luck. Still coded out with the "UE".

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Replacing the ball sensor should take care of the problem.   I have not seen the main board cause this problem but if the problem remains after replacing both the ball sensor (and assuming the back panel isn't bent) and hall sensor, then what else can it be?  http://www.repaircli...Number=WM2277HS

Main-Control-Board-6871ER1003C-00687531.

#9 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

I hope we are correct and this fixes it. Given it shows signs of having been wet, and the washer performs all functions up to that point. I am certain this should be it. Anything else would seemingly cause other issues or prevent other steps.

Replacing the ball sensor should take care of the problem.   I have not seen the main board cause this problem but if the problem remains after replacing both the ball sensor (and assuming the back panel isn't bent) and hall sensor, then what else can it be?  

I might be confusing something in the bold. The panel is not "Bent"  like from repeated hits, but more formed that way from factory. It is not just near the area of the BALL sensor though. It is majority of rear panel. Kicks out to allow room for stator ring more than anything.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

I hope we are correct and this fixes it. Given it shows signs of having been wet, and the washer performs all functions up to that point. 

Any parts ordered through the links at this site can be returned for any reason for one year, including electrical and electronic parts that have been installed.  

#11 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Samurai, I think that is awesome of them to stand behind the product like that.

I won't return them though, it isn't their fault I am diagnosing the long form way. I can just save the original parts as spares against future catastrophe. Who knows, with the new and improved ones installed maybe the machine will actually work better too. Especially now that the drum is clean and will stay that way knowing the PROPER amount of detergent is being used.

I will report back once the new BALL Sensor shows and I get it installed. Hopefully it will be all good to go.

#12 Bhudda454

Bhudda454

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

Reporting back as promised..

Samurai. Thanks for the guidance and asssit. My Tromm is back on full service duty and washing clothes. The BALL Sensor fixed it right away. As stated, I don't plan on returning other parts to repairclinix, but do plan on sharing this forum and their page by name if anyone asks for help.

Keep up the solid work and again thanks so very much.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Great work!  Thanks for letting us know how it turned out!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics