Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaide Undercounter Refrigerator Model# KURS24LSBS01, What direction does the condensor fan blow?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

O.K. so I diagnosed this undercounter fridge with a bad condensor fan.  The compressor was SFH when I got to the back, and it melted the drain pan onto the compressor.  I'm still waiting to get the drain pan from my supplier, P/N W10163193.

I unplugged the unit and ordered a fan P/N 4344781.  When I replaced the fan, I realized that the fan blade for the original fan had a drive shaft close to 3/16" and the new fan motor's drive shaft is less than 1/8", therefore the old blade was too big to put on the new motor.  What I did in the mean time was put some foil tape around the shaft and stuff the blade onto it, seamed to work.

The problem is this: I don't remember which way the fan blade is supposed to blow the air, toward the compressor or away from the compressor?

Plus, I don't remember how the wires went onto the fan, it shouldn't matter which way the power is supplied, the motor should turn away from the external windings on top, right?

I went to order a new fan blade but only got a part number of W10315091 listed as a fan motor kit, I guess you can't by a fan blade seperate, I wish I had order this originally, its less expensive than the fan by it's self.

Has anybody delt with this before?

...I took another look at the photo I attached, and determined that the fan blade was originally sucking the air away from the compressor, assuming the new motor turns in the same direction.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,152 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

The air blows toward the compressor.

AC fan motor so it's doesn't matter which way you put the wires on.

Job Aid:  http://appliantology...hiller-job-aid/

#3 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

That makes sense to me, thanks.  How did you know this? is that the standard airflow over all compressor/condenser configurations?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

The air blows toward the compressor.

I have to correct this.  Re-looking at your photo, I see lint accumulated in the underside of the blade at the up-pitch (closest to the condenser fan motor).  This indicates that the blade must be turning CCW (viewed from the front of the blade).  Turning in that direction with that pitch, the air would be pushed toward the condenser fan motor, away from the compressor.

However, it's worth noting that since the panel to the compressor compartment is solid, not louvered, reversing the direction of air flow in this case would not significantly affect the heat transfer at the condenser coil.  

IOW, it would work fine either way.

#5 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Actually the compressor is located to the right of the photo.  I think you are correct that the air is flowing toward the fan motor based on the original configuration.  That means that the air would suck across the coils and compressor from the front, and exit out the front along the exit duct?  Seems counter intuitive and not enough air flow?

When the fan motor went out, it melted the drip pan onto the top of the compressor, I'm still waiting to get the plastic pan from my supplier.

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Most condenser fan motors are geared to run in a CCW rotation regardless of their position to the compressor.  But the pitch of the condenser fan blade is confusing to me, even to this day.  I'll always note the position as needed (front or back) everytime I replace a condenser fan motor.

#7 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

If I could get my hands on a service manual, would it tell me which way the air needs to flow?

#8 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

If I could get my hands on a service manual, would it tell me which way the air needs to flow?

Job Aid: http://appliantology...hiller-job-aid/

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#9 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thank for that!

I did install the fan the way its shown in the manual. 

The air flow section just talks about the evaporator fan/flow.

Thanks Again!

#10 Ahh-Cool

Ahh-Cool

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

I have to correct this.  Re-looking at your photo, I see lint accumulated in the underside of the blade at the up-pitch (closest to the condenser fan motor).  This indicates that the blade must be turning CCW (viewed from the front of the blade).  Turning in that direction with that pitch, the air would be pushed toward the condenser fan motor, away from the compressor.

However, it's worth noting that since the panel to the compressor compartment is solid, not louvered, reversing the direction of air flow in this case would not significantly affect the heat transfer at the condenser coil.  

IOW, it would work fine either way.

That doesn't make sense to me, however, every condensor and evaporator fan motor I ever replaced is sucking the air over the coil rather than pushing the air over the coil

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,152 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

That doesn't make sense to me, however, every condensor and evaporator fan motor I ever replaced is sucking the air over the coil rather than pushing the air over the coil

I know!  But that's what I get out of analyzing the photo Alex posted.  What about you?

#12 Ahh-Cool

Ahh-Cool

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

The RPM at the end of the blade is faster than the base. The trailing edge has a different angle and dynamic than the leading edge. The top side is in a vacuum and the underside has positive pressure. Based on all those factors if it's sucking in you will have dust on the blade and if it's pushing the air I "think" you will not.

I think we are over thinking this

Stefan

Edited by Ahh-Cool, 14 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#13 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

I agree.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,152 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

The RPM is the same throughout the radius of the blade. Every point along the radius of the blade is passing by an external reference point the same number of times per minute.

The ANGULAR VELOCITY, however, does increase with radial distance from from the shaft. ;)

Not sure what effect that would have on the lint accumulation pattern on the blade.

#15 Ahh-Cool

Ahh-Cool

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

not sure what angular velocity is.

I know if I take a lazer rpm gauge and I point it towards different lenths across the blade I will get different rpm scince the end of the blade has to catch up to the base.

I think we are saying the same thing but I'm not sure

#16 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Its all good, I just installed the fan blade the way it was in the photo and called it good.  It was just a little counter intuitive that the air was going to suck over the condenser and compressor once the back panel was on.  Seems like blowing would be more efficient.

Not to prolong this string, but is it true that these type of condensor and evaporator motor rotate away from what looks like two external windings on the top outside of the motor?

If so, it would confirm that these motors typically rotate counter clockwise?

by the way...I love this shit...does that make me a nurd?

#17 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

All of these bus-bar type motors, (evaporator or condenser), rotate towards the bus-bar on the iron core.

Looking at the front, bus-bar on right, rotor turns the direction closest direction to reach bus-bar, (thus in this case CCW looking at it from the shaft-end).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics