Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub Zero 642/S3 Serial M2679264: No power to fridge compressor, Freezer not at temp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

This 642 has temps around 18f at freezer and 45f + at FFside.  The compressor for the freezer runs fine, the compressor for the FF is cold and there is not 120vac at the wires to the relay.

The display says 'Service' and there is a EC on the right of the display where the temp should be for the FF section.

I found the control board test sheet and ran all the test listed, seems I got 120vac at every test that I was supposed to get 120vac.

I couldn't get any other error codes other than EC and service to show up on the display. Are there some test points on the board I can check for the compressor and wouldn't that tell me if its the board, or something else?

Does anyone happen to have the service manuaul? 

Thanks in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

http://appliantology...0-3-sn-2600000/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

It looks like neither the fresh food nor the freezer sections are at the correct temps. The only thing, besides the control, that they share in common is the condenser fan motor and the condenser coil housing. Make sure the coils are clean and that the fan motor is running full speed.

Edited by Spannerwrench, 07 July 2013 - 11:54 AM.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#4 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Good point, the fan was running but maybe not at the correct RPM's?

The condensor was not very dirty, and I was so hell bent on addressing other options I didn't bother cleaning it.

The fact that the compressor relay and overload tested good and the Ohms on the compressor studs tested 'normal' and I didn't have voltage at the wire's leading to the compressor made me think it was a board issue or thermister? 

#5 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Voltage out of control board???..( Looks like Terminal E6 )..............gray wire going to the compressor........What is the voltage, terminal to a good ground/frame....................Close the refer  fan switch, does the evaporator fan motor operate?????........Both are wired to the same terminal on the control board, gray wire...........Clean the condenser coils........

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

For this model and series if there is no code shown with the "EC" and "Service" flashing then the "EC" display indicates excessive compressor run time for that particular section.  You can check thermistor temperature readings by initiating the diagnostic mode as follows:

1)  Unit must be on.

2)  Press Colder and Unit On/Off key simultaneously then release both keys. 

After performing the above key strokes, the following will appear on the LCD.  Temperatures shown are for reference only, actual temperatures may vary.

-05          SERVICE (Illuminated)          F

(Temperature of freezer compartment)

40           SERVICE (Illuminated)          r

(Temperature of refrigerator compartment)

-12          SERVICE (Illuminated)          FE

(Temperature of freezer evaporator)

29           SERVICE (Illuminated)          rE

(Temperature of refrigerator evaporator)

Pressing the Colder key at this time will take the display back to the first reading, freezer compartment temperature.

Note:  If "EE" is displayed in place of temperature, the thermistor in that location is faulty.

Diagnostic mode will end 10 seconds after last key stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics