Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero 690 Fridge Temp Problems

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

Subzero refrigerator side issues
I have a 690S side by side. The freezer is fine and I thought the fridge was fine to as I set the temp to 35 and it shows 35 on the screen.

The issue is I put a thermometer in the fridge and it registers at closer to 45.

I put the thermometer in the freezer and it shows zero so I know it works.

If I leave the door on the fridge side open for a bit it registers a higher temp on the screen.

I also have the service light always flashing and have vacuumed the compressor clean.

Any thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

So because the thermometer agrees with the freezer then it must be correct when providing the fresh food temps?
But isn't it also true that your fridge was correct in giving you the proper freezer temps and it could be correct with the fresh food temps as well?

Logic and costs dictate we first verify the accuracy of thermometer (boiling water test or another thermometer) before we go messin with the fridge, even though the service light on the fridge can mean a faulty temp sensor.

Once you determined the accuracy of your thermometer, next step is to put the fridge in diagnostic mode and provide us the code info.

btw, at 35f your water, beer, milk etc should be really cold and you should be able to tell the difference if at 45 (warm beer, warm milk... yuck)

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

I have also poured out a glass of milk and uses a thermorks pen an got in the mid 40s as well.

F01
R43
Re46
Fe02
IL00

The kids were in the fridge for a bit so the temp on the fridge unit was reading 43 this time.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

The readings from the fridge seem to square with your thermoworks which are known for their accuracy. The ff evap is mighty warm. Take another diagnostic reading

#5 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

F-02
R38
Re46
Fe-13

Does a warm evaporator mean low on freon ?

#6 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

The evaporator at 46 makes sense since that is about what my fridge is operating at even though the fridge reads 38 in this case. I opened a coke and thermapen said 46.

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Take off the back cover in the fresh food section and take a few pictures and post them.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Looks like a faulty ff sensor. I think it is shutting down the cooling to the fridge since it thinks it is at the proper temp... the evap sensor is reading accurately. Generally The ff thermister should rarely be lower than the ff evap thermistor with a possible exception of defrost mode.

#9 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

There is no defrost on a Sub-Zero fresh food section. It runs at higher pressure so that it sweats instead of frosting. With the ff evap thermistor at 46 degrees it would indicate the the pressure is either about 42 psi or has a sealed system leak. Which is very likely. A picture of the evaporator would help. If the thermistor was bad it would be giving an error code..

"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#10 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Here is a picture.  As you can see it is definitely not frosted everywhere and it looks like a bend in one of the fins.  

ryg3.jpg

#11 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

You have a sealed system leak in the evaporator. Look very closely at it and you will see little shiny dimples in it, those are holes.

"Suds are not good"

#12 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

How much does that cost typically to repair on a subzero. Unfortunately I am a year off the 12 year warranty

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

There is no defrost on a Sub-Zero fresh food section. It runs at higher pressure so that it sweats instead of frosting. With the ff evap thermistor at 46 degrees it would indicate the the pressure is either about 42 psi or has a sealed system leak. Which is very likely. A picture of the evaporator would help. If the thermistor was bad it would be giving an error code..

looks like you nailed it! .. i thought the sub could be different but wasn't sure that'ts why my last sentence was noncommittal. But why would the ff temp be so far off?

#14 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

Because the ff runs at high pressure it can leak for a long time unnoticed. Remember the less refrigerant, until it's gone, the colder it is. So it will continue to coo until the refrigerant is gone.

"Suds are not good"

#15 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

I know that it is important to find the leak but can I get some freon put in. If the leak is slow and small enough couldn't it last awhile and at least give me the temps I need?

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

Spannerwrench, I was wondering why the ff sensor was so far off the temp registered by the independent thermometer. So the ff sensor was accurately registering 35f while the independent thermometer placed in the fridge was accurately showing 48f because the ff sensor was closer to the refrigerant leak than the thermometer? Tricky.

Ryan, I'm not certain which refrigerant your fridge uses but you will be hard pressed to find a qualified tech to advise you to add any refrigerant for purposes other than testing when there is a known leak

From the EPA:
HFC refrigerant substitutes that do not contain an ozone-depleting substance (such as R-410A or R-134a) are not covered under the refrigerant sales restriction. Therefore, section 608 technician certification is not required in order to purchase HFC refrigerant substitutes that do not contain an ozone-depleting substance. It remains illegal to knowingly vent HFC substitutes during the maintenance, service, repair, or disposal of appliances.

#17 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Sub-O evaporator replacement  about 500 to 600 clam$.............( Depending what kind of car you drive, A Ford or a Mercedes ).........If you do a complete system recharge you could conceivably get about a years worth of use till the refrigerant leaks out again..........The last evaporator change out ( a 550 , I think ) it had a copper evaporator........Do it correctly the first time, replace the evaporator...... The only way to get around with a  Temporary Charge is to add a filter dryer with a dye marker , so leak could  be found with a black light, later .............................................Service light was 'ON', the system noticed the compressor was running hotter than normal.................Less refrigerant, hotter comp................The system thought the air flow was restricted thru the condenser coils.......................

#18 Ryan87500

Ryan87500

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

Out of curiosity what is the normal operating temp of the fridge evaporator coil?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics