Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Front Loading Washer is off balance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CindyS

CindyS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

My front loading, 9 year old, Kenmore Washer, is off balance during the spin cycle.  I found some hard crusty pieces of plastic sitting inside of the rubber gasket that surrounds the clothes loading area and also around the drum.  What kind of a repair is this?  Sears is trying to sell me a 1 year service plan before they arrive for the service call.  It's $320.  Will the repair be more than that?  

Help!

Cindy 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like the spinner is broken on the rear of the inner basket. Call Whirlpool and tell them it's making a metal on metal grinding noise.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 CindyS

CindyS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Spannerwrench, but it's not making a metal grinding noise.  It is off balance, which causes it to make very loud thudding noises as it spins.  It looks like the drum is not centered inside as it has maybe come disconnected from something which holds it. 

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

The inner basket is not centered because it's broken in the rear. The only fix for it is inner basket and both front and rear outer tubs. The plastic chunks you're seeing are from the basket chewing into the outer tub. Whirlpool will usually stand behind the repair if you describe it as metal on metal noise
"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 CindyS

CindyS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

It's a Kenmore Elite He3.  Is that made by Whirlpool?  I currently have a service appointment scheduled with Sears for Friday.  They want to pre-sell me a 1 year service agreement for $320 which would cover any work on this washer or take my chances and pay $85 for the service call and any additional parts and labor above that.  Since I have no idea what this repair might cost, I have no idea if I should purchase the service plan from Sears, or take my chances.  But you say I should contact Whirlpool?    Do you have contact info for them?

Thanks

#6 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Whirlpool won't help if its a Kenmore brand, sorry I didn't notice that. But yes, the repair for that would be worth buying the plan.
"Suds are not good"

#7 CindyS

CindyS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for your input.  I hate these kind of tactics they use to buy their service plans.  But I suppose most likely a service call plus any repair, could easily run over $320.  I wonder how catastrophic this damage is.....do you think the washer will need to be replaced? 

#8 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Check your owners manual for the warranty coverage on the basket.  Some of these older units had a 10 year basket warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics