Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Triton dishwasher leaking

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pelampe

pelampe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hello,

We have a GE Triton dishwasher that has suddenly started leaking below the bottom on the LEFT side, in multiple areas.

Model No: GSD5940DO1SS

It begins immediately after the tub is filled up with water and the the wash cycle begins. When I say "the wash cycle begins" what I mean is that I can hear the rotating arm spinning inside the dishwasher.

What do you think is causing the leaks to occur?

I have attached photos below:

Inside View

Front View

Zoom-In of Front View

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

TIA,
Phil in Ocean Springs, MS

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

All leaks are visible, meaning their exact point of origin can be visibly discerned.  

In your zoom-in view, can you point out the specific location of the leak source?

May require laying on the floor with a Margarita and a flashlight and watching while the dishwasher is running.  

#3 Gnominator77

Gnominator77

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Molson Canadian

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

If I was a guessing man it sounds as if the power shower tube is leaking. It goes from the main motor, along the left side of the tub to the top of the dishwasher where it supplies water to the top wash arm.

http://www.repaircli...Number=WD24X222

#4 pelampe

pelampe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

All leaks are visible, meaning their exact point of origin can be visibly discerned.  

In your zoom-in view, can you point out the specific location of the leak source?

May require laying on the floor with a Margarita and a flashlight and watching while the dishwasher is running. 

I put some cyan-colored lines below so you can see where the drips are coming from.

SEE BELOW:

zoomwithwaterview.jpg

If I was a guessing man it sounds as if the power shower tube is leaking. It goes from the main motor, along the left side of the tub to the top of the dishwasher where it supplies water to the top wash arm.

So, this tube is active during the washing cycle?

#5 pelampe

pelampe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

I guarantee you that I'm way better at guessing then you are!

But guesses don't count.

Did you see my reply above?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

The fill tube or the fill cup is leaking.  You'll need to pull the dishwasher out far enough to get a visual on that full assembly which is on the LHS, toward the back.  The problem may be apparent.  If not, you'll need to run it in that position (may be difficult depending on installation) so you can see from whence the water originateth.  

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Take a 6' stainless steal dw hose and run it in the middle on the floor who that you can get a better visual.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#8 pelampe

pelampe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

The fill tube or the fill cup is leaking.  You'll need to pull the dishwasher out far enough to get a visual on that full assembly which is on the LHS, toward the back.  The problem may be apparent.  If not, you'll need to run it in that position (may be difficult depending on installation) so you can see from whence the water originateth.  

Take a 6' stainless steal dw hose and run it in the middle on the floor who that you can get a better visual.

Can you please tell me where the fill tube is located on this diagram (which part #)?  Also, do you know of a parts list for this diagram?

And YES, that is exactly what I'll be trying to do next (taking a 6' SS hose and connecting it to the dishwasher after I pull it out).

getritonparts.gif

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

1.  Pull the dishwasher out from its cubby

2.  Located the water inlet valve-- it's the one that has the water supply tubing connected to it.  Will either be copper or steel braided.  

3.  Locate the rubber tube on the other end of the water fill valve and follow it all the way to the side of the tub.  

#10 pelampe

pelampe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

It appears to be the power shower tube alright.   It is leaking a hugh amount of water right where it comes in to the top of the machine.  There is an elbow fitting going through the top of the machine, and it has a crack in it.  The water is escaping through that crack and then passing over the top of the machine then downwards on the side to the floor.

The elbow appears to be soft rubber.   If purchase this part, will it be simple to just pop it back in through the top of the machine where it came out?  It doesn't appear that there are any special tools required, to replace it, correct?

Can you think of anything else I will need to have (or know) to replace the shower tube?

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Should just need the new tube, it comes with the soft rubber elbow attached to the corrugated plastic tube.  Just pushes back thru top and upper spray arm seals it again the roof of dishwasher.

Take the upper roof spray arm ref#570 off before trying to remove or replace the power shower tube.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 pelampe

pelampe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

The shower tube is basically already off of the top of the dishwasher.  See below:

tubetop.jpg

Why do you suggest taking off the roof spray arm BEFORE replacing the tube?

The reason I'm asking is because the two screws holding the roof spray arm are severly corroded. 

See below:

topdishwasher.jpg

I can remove the screws using a grinder and if I do that then I suppose the roof spray arm will be able to be released from within the top of the dishwasher.  I can  then get two replacement screws to reset the roof spray arm.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

If you don't remove the spray arm there is a high likely hood of not getting the lip of tube back into the tub correctly and still having a leak  when you are done.

The spray arm mounting base is what squeezes/seals the lip of the tube to the top of the dishwasher tub.  Top of tub might already be rusted and when spray arm is removed and tube installed may not have any sealing pressure on the tube lip anyway and still have a leak without using some kind of sealer around the tube were it enters the top of the tub.

The correct way to reinstall is by removing the spray arm first, removing old tube, reinstalling new tube then reinstalling spray arm.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics