Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermador RDFS30Q XLO Burners Don't Light (S/N 96100089)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

OK, another issue with my now old Thermador (15+ yrs).  Out of the blue neither of the extra low (sequenced) burners will light.  In this case neither burner's solenoid clicks when turning gas knob to start or any other position.  Seems like no power is getting to both solenoids.  The 2 simple burners work fine as does the oven.  I'm at work, so can't check until tonight at the earliest. 

Seems odd that both switches at the gas valves would fail simulaneously and one of the solenoids was replaced about a year back (found you can buy just the electric portion and replace).  Guessing the simmer controller fried itself or maybe a ground issue or maybe who knows? 

Anyone seen this before with these Thermador units?

Although the extra low simmer thing on these units is great, over the years I've found it a bit problematic with the erratic spark module.

As always, thanks in advance.

Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

OK, trying to follow the Thermador service manual. 

I've checked for 120 VAC at the igniter module per the book for the xlo burners.  I need/want 120 volts, but got 0 when checking 1 and 2 w/respect to neutral, also have 0 with respect to A.  Just for the heck I also checked it for the simple burners (3 & 4) and I get 120 VAC w/respect to neutral. 

Next step is to check voltage at sequenced channel 1 and 2 and the SW line, I assume this is with respect to neutral, manual doesn't state.  Anyone been here/done this?  Looking like I get 0 again, if w/respect to neutral.

Thanks

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Very unlikely that both solenoids would go bad at the same time.  You can verify with a simple continuity measurement of the coils.  

The component in common with both burners is the simmer controller.  The new controller requires upgraded potentiometers on the two xlo burners.  Here's the kit you need:  http://www.repaircli...lNumber=RDFS30Q

Spark-Module-497234-01016178.jpg

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Potentiometers and simmer controllers are pretty common issues with any Thermador with XLO burners.  I've has to replace solenoids also but not as much.  At least your model has the upgraded potentiometer kit that comes with the simmer controller.  Some other models do not.  According to Thermador the problem with the older potentiometers was the contact inside was getting caught by a resistor when turning the burner off, thus shorting out the potentiometer and simmer controller.

#5 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

OK, solenoids check out good. Searching around told me that I should have 120VAC coming from potentiometers to solenoid 1, solenoid 2 and Line-5V.  I've got like 5 VAC at 1 and 2, 120 VAC at Line-5V.  No matter how I run it, I don't seem to get the right numbers from or at the simmer controller. 

Guess it's time to belly up to the bar, but hey I got like 16 years from these pots.  The repair clinic price for the kit is good.  Thermador website price is not

Not being an appliance pro, I need to ask are these oem parts?  Been burned too many times with crappy automotive aftermarket parts.  I know you guys don't have time for crappy parts, just not that experienced in this arena.

Thanks for all the help

#6 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Forgot to mention, the red light in between the 2 xlo burner knobs is on constantly since this event occurred a couple of days back.  Probably indicates something fried in simmer board, but thought I'd mention it.  Thanks again.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

This site only links to genuine OEM parts. Short answer: yes, RepairClinic only sells new, OEM parts.

I'm an appliance tech in real life: http://ApplianceGuru.com

as are most of the regulars who answer posts here. We all know the score on OEM vs. cheap Chinese knockoffs. I'm not going to run a site that sells parts that I would not use with my own appliance service customers. People using this website get the same treatment and consideration as my appliance service customers.

#8 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanks, I appreciate what you guys do here.  Just was not familar with the appliance parts story.  Again thanks for all the help.  Will order parts and hopefully report back that range works again soon.

#9 Milanomike

Milanomike

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

OK men I'm back.

1 new simmer controller and 2 new pots to match the new simmer controller and it works perfectly.  Although I usually work with Thermador as in the past they have been really helpful, the current situation for older stuff is apparently of no concern to them at this time.  Took about an hour and a half to swap things out.

Repair Clinic dudes shipped parts like instantly and I got them yesterday, even though they were scheduled for Monday delivery.  These guy are good.  I usually call Thermador for this stuff, but the phone operator seemed to know nothing and they would not let me talk to tech, so the heck with them. 

Thanks for all the help, you guys rock.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,210 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Great job, Mike! And thanks for posting the outcome. :dude:

Yes, RepairClinic is excellent to deal with. Great customer service. And they ship parts fast. I always buy my circuit boards through them for the one year return insurance policy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics