LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Washer Timer Knob Identification & Sourcing

slantsixdan

GE (Canadian-market) washer, guessing between 15 and 20 years old. Cannot find a dataplate anywhere on the unit; no model or serial number to be found.

Timer has been getting progressively more difficult to turn; today the tangs sheared off the knob. I went browsing at *mumble*.com and found a photo of a white version of the black/dark brown knob I seek to replace. here is that photo:

271127_1_M.jpg

1) Can anyone furnish a machine model number I might use to find this knob locally (Toronto), and/or P/N for black, almond or white versions of this knob? (Or, preferably, a machine model number and some knob P/Ns...)

2) Plastics-safe silicone to lube the accessible portions of the timer gears, to limber it up so the new knob won't meet a similar fate. Yes/no/something else?

Thanks in advance!

fish2.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can probably do that tomorrow, can get some numbers off of the knobs at my business.  Look at the left side of the washer down by the floor, front edge above the left front foot, might see the tag there with the model number, not that it will help us but will help you.  Do not believe we will be able to access your model number here in this data base out of Canada.

Good pointer! Found the dataplate (decal) on the right side of the machine above the RF foot. Camco, made in Canada, GE License, Model VW973KW118, Serial BF578717.

Cool, guess they put them on the other side in the Great White North...now you can do some research and get that knob...

I do not know of any way to libricate the timers and have no way of knowing what style is in your washer.  I suppose someone else in here might have some suggestions...

In that style of timer there isn't really anything that needs lubed, just spray the cam area with WD-40 and shake off all excess, turn the knob while spraying and you will find the timer will probably loosen right up and turn good.

Actually, before I read your reply, I applied Syl-Glyde (medium-light body silicone-based grease) to the gears, and a tiny dab on the leading edge of each cam. This freed-up the binding timer immediately; I went from having to haul the timer around with a pair of vise-grips to being able to turn it with the knob shaft by hand.

Trying to find a replacement knob. What fun; the nearest GE-Camco parts store "doesn't have an outside phone line", so I had to recite the model number to some dåmn central "customer service" agent, who got it wrong twice before being able to recite it back to me correctly, then after awhile reported that the nearest store has no stock. (Big help...this means they haven't got the black knob. No, she was not able to check if they had it in white or almond. "Not without a model number, sir." This is stupid; if the store had a telephone like every other business in the known world, I bet someone behind the counter would've known the P/Ns for white and almond and been able to check.

The second-nearest location took my model number and part I needed, said "Gimme yer phone number and we'll call you back", and so far the telephone sits in silence.

Is GE parts support this poor in the states?

Nah, hundreds of places in the USA, including this site would have you fixed up in a few minutes....if you get the part number might be able to help more? 

Looks like a RepairClinic.com number 277861 or 277962 (white, what's the difference in these two?), 277799 (brown/black like original), possibly 2501 (chrome) would work...all of these have the correct type of splines and retainer clip, just not sure if all have the same shank length.

Archived