Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
donn

LG Tromm WM2277HW dE code puzzler

16 posts in this topic

It all stared with rusty/corroded door hinges,

Customer was slamming the crap out of door so hard there's cracks in the plastic outer panel.

Well,  He finally called for service,  because  he started getting  

a dE code. and oh yeah and  a little white thingy fell out of door lock ,he said,  So, I get there to check out machine. . No sweat,you just need new hinges and door lock,  I said. 

Couple days later I return with needed parts  (hinges & door lock )  spent a good half hour just getting the corroded screws out  the hinges

hinges on door lock replace  -plugged in machine-  set it for start--  ding ding error dE dE !!  WTF?

so tried again ding ding  dE dE  HuH??

I checked  ALL the connections  and tried again- this time  machine started in slow spin, but the door did not lock  I could open the door and it stayed running ,wow, that's weird I thought..

So not knowing a lot about LG  I took machine back to my shop for full check out

Here,s what I've done so far:

New door lock--twice

New hinges
New control board

Checked  each and every wire end to end  (and they're connectors )

Checked drain pump 

I guess my question is          What am I missing???

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes   i know dE is door error -  All have 4  (and more) checks been done---- still no joy!!

There's Cracks in the outer panel, is the door latch making good contact with the door lock? If he was slamming the door so hard that it damaged the door panel maybe it's possible that the door just isn't quite closing properly to make good contact. I also gave a link to the service manual so you can delve further into the challenge at hand.

Thanks for your response

I've taken the door lock and placed it on the door and held it there I get a click-- a double click -- then dE code

it did start a cycle once and only once---- I really don't believe it's a door closing issue      

I do have the service manual in print  --it simply DOES NOT address this problem beyond what I've already done

I don't know, maybe I received  a corrupt control board?

LG=life's garbage :yucky:

Very possible. It doesn't look like you've missed anything.

Thanks for the Video, it's good to have it confirmed that I've already tested and  have done everything that was in the video

including changing  PCB ---STILL no joy :banghead:  

I don't think the PCB  was factory fresh when I got it ,  So I'll order a fresh one 

I

I don't think the PCB  was factory fresh when I got it ,  So I'll order a fresh one 

Always check for that Factory Fresh® smell!   :tinkerbell:

So what was the problem? 

On 2/23/2016 at 9:27 PM, allen63 said:

So what was the problem? 

Most likely the OP loaded the 200 lb washer back onto his truck/van---and re-delivered/re-installed it---without ever identifying the fault/defect.

Grabbed a six-pack---built a bonfire---tossed the Service Manual into the roaring flames.

After finishing the 5th beer---let out a loud burp and relieved himself into the burning embers.

Went home---crashed.

In the morning---prayed that no LG washers were scheduled anytime soon

For one thing this problem was nearly 3 years ago

Since the customer did not want to spend a lot of money and HATED the machine anyways  The customer decide to take a good old  fashioned top loader that I had

I never got a new/ new pcb  for the LG  -------in which, I have no doubt would've cured to problem--( I have had other supposedly new pcbs that were  NG)

Fact is, the  machine had other issues with it ( besides being LG) simply was  NOT cost effective to repair

The good old fashioned top loader IS STILL WORKING and the customer  is happy   --- the customer has been using my repair services for over 25 years and has called me  since

Loyal, you bet  ,maybe because I didn't charge them one red cent for the attempted repair or the for machine they got

to answer your question the problem was mostly likely the pcb

Thanks for the update.

Now to answer allen63's question...

"So what was the problem?"

The short answer is---most likely the Drain Motor (4681EA2001T)

This thread shows yet again---an over-reliance on the mythical Service Manual---as the Be All/End All for answers to symptoms.

True---the Service Manual is a priceless tool to have for most diagnostics---but in no way does it contain every conceivable fault/failure known to occur.

When researching the Manual for a Troubleshooting Flow Chart for the "dE" error---four possible suspects are listed.

If none of those pan out---it then becomes necessary to think outside-the-box to find the cause of the error.

The Manual *does* provide a clue---but it takes initiative to find it---in the Wiring Diagram.

The Drain Motor is in the same circuit as the Door Lock Assy.

Been there---done that.

Motor Winding is shorted (but can still provide a weak circuit)

When the START/PAUSE button is pushed---the Main Board conducts a "systems check" (feedback from various sensors/circuits)---if no feedback is detected for a specific circuit---an error message will occur to prevent starting the cycle.

Since the Door Hinge was a problem likely for months---the tech became sidetracked into thinking that somehow the "dE" error was connected to that particular failure (replacing multiple Door Locks/the Malodorous Main Board/Testing Continuity of Wiring---took the entire washer to his shop to experiment/ etc).

All LG Front load washer Main Boards emit an "ozone" odor---normal

LG front load washer Door Lock Assys are one of those components least likely to fail during the entire life cycle of the washer---once this was replaced (assuming damage due  to the corroded/maligned Hinge/Door Latch---that is ruled out)

Testing Wiring for circuit integrity is a laborious process---that does not always prove a circuit will remain "good"---under a load.

I've only had an instance ***once***-----where the Drain Motor Wire Harness (6877ER3003C) was defective in a washer that was recently purchased/under warranty.

Nothing in the original post---indicates a Main Board fault

<<<Since the customer did not want to spend a lot of money and HATED the machine anyways>>>

Of course they did.

The Hinge corroded---their favorite tech could not identify fault/took the washer from their home---and yet again struck-out.

Likely in addition to....

1) Musty Odor

2) L-O-N-G Cycle Run Time (longer than the control panel clock indicated)

3) "LE" Error/Interrupted Cycle (intermittently)

4) Dingy/Yellowing of Whites

5) Suds/Water Leak on the floor after the spin cycles

6) Permanent Black Mold Stains on the Rubber Door Gasket

7) Skin Irritation (excessive residual detergent in fabrics)

All caused by incorrect type or amount of detergent.

<<<The customer decide to take a good old  fashioned top loader that I had>>>

Fortunately for the customer---I agree.

A used direct Drive whirlpool,correct?

Will this exit strategy work 5 years from now?

The last D/D washers were built---what---2009?

What happens when there's none left?

Give away more free washers---*any* washer?

<<<LG=life's garbage>>>

Language of the Eighty-Percenters-Club (Pareto Principle)

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 9:49 PM, john63 said:

The Drain Motor is in the same circuit as the Door Lock Assy.

First off I ruled out the drain pump from the start with a new pump (4681EA2001T) I knew it was a long short -but since I had  one  the truck ,I tried

Kinda what meant when I said  " I checked the drain pump" in my op

All LG Front load washer Main Boards emit an "ozone" odor-,

--normal

What I meant when I said not a" factory fresh" PCB -- I meant, NOT NEW I suspect  it was a used returned part sent to me by RepairClinic  (NOT the first time)

Yes it was a DD

Will this exit strategy work 5 years from now?

Exit strategy?? Not sure what you mean

I let them take one of my loaner machines and they preferred it over their LG --what can  I say

if I want give away washers  that's my business isn't it?

The last D/D washers were built---what---2009?

SADLY Whirlpool DD machines where last  produced thru-2010 into early 2011 ( IE Kenmore 400/ 800 series, Estate, Admiral  etc)

I'm sure it was the PCB  I simply didn't waste any more time or money on this machine for all the reasons you stated

But I guess  we will never know

LG= Life's Good (for the manufacturer)

When I was first reading this, I was willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. But then he lost credibility with this statement: 

4 hours ago, donn said:

I suspect  it was a used returned part sent to me by RepairClinic  (NOT the first time)

Repairclinic has absolutely nothing to gain by re-packaging/re-selling old parts but a lot to lose-- especially reputation, which is everything. 

For the record----I  NEVER said RC PURPOSELY sent a returned used part      errors can and DO occur with ALL  suppliers

Sorry to offend