Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer WJSE4150B1WW - Banging Noise During Spin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hrbanana

hrbanana

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

Hello!

I am in need of assistance with my GE washer WJSE4150B1WW which has developed a loud "bang bang" noise as the spin cycle starts. I removed the front panel and confirmed the noise, which sounds like a hammer is striking metal, is coming from the area where the motor and tub meet (can't identify the exact component). The frequency of the banging increases as the spin speed increases.The belt looks normal and the pump is OK. It will actually spin when unloaded or lightly loaded, but has trouble with a moderate load. 

From reading the forum & FAQ entries, it appears that it could be a bearing or the transmission/clutch. Are there any good diag workflows for identifying the offending part?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

Check these Easy Fixes first.

Sometimes the frame bends in the front and the tub sags when it gets a load in it. The shipping bracket under the motor will then hit the metal floor of the washer. Turn it on with a load in it and watch under the motor and make sure it is not hitting the floor.

Make sure all the shocks are not broken.

Check for objects stuck between tubs. 

Like you said....

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Can you post a video to youtube showing lower area in spin mode with panel removed?

#4 hrbanana

hrbanana

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. I did check and it doesn't look like the noise is from the frame or foreign objects in the tub.

Here's a link to the video on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox....erBangNoise.mov

Thanks!

#5 hrbanana

hrbanana

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

^^

I should note that the video was shot while the tub was unloaded.

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

You will need a new motor, (the new redesigned motor will not have a clutch, it has a flywheel instead and comes with a new wiring harness, relay and capacitor that all needs to be replaced).

The noise you are hearing is the motor starting/stopping in rapid succession, with no load it allows it to run but as soon as you put a load on the motor the problem occurs.

http://www.repaircli...er=WJSE4150B1WW

Drive-Motor-WH49X10035-00832013.jpg

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

You can force it to run in high speed only which will allow use until you replace the motor. Unplug washer, a few inches from the motor connector, cut the blue wire and white wire. Strip the two blue ends about 5/8" and the white wire coming from above (leave white from motor alone). Twist the three wires together and put a wirenut on them. Tape the wirenut so it can't vibrate off. It will now run in high speed only. I have repaired motors with this problem but you have to take the rear motor housing off to get to the inside of the motor switch (the part the connector plugs into).

Eric

#8 hrbanana

hrbanana

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thanks guys, for the analysis! The wife has been asking for an new washer, so maybe this is the time.

I'll try the blue/white wire high-speed fix in the interim per fairbank56's suggestion.

#9 hrbanana

hrbanana

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

fairbanks, your blue/white wire trick worked! It will hold us over for a few days. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics