Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hrbanana

GE Washer WJSE4150B1WW - Banging Noise During Spin

9 posts in this topic

Hello!

I am in need of assistance with my GE washer WJSE4150B1WW which has developed a loud "bang bang" noise as the spin cycle starts. I removed the front panel and confirmed the noise, which sounds like a hammer is striking metal, is coming from the area where the motor and tub meet (can't identify the exact component). The frequency of the banging increases as the spin speed increases.The belt looks normal and the pump is OK. It will actually spin when unloaded or lightly loaded, but has trouble with a moderate load. 

From reading the forum & FAQ entries, it appears that it could be a bearing or the transmission/clutch. Are there any good diag workflows for identifying the offending part?

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check these Easy Fixes first.

Sometimes the frame bends in the front and the tub sags when it gets a load in it. The shipping bracket under the motor will then hit the metal floor of the washer. Turn it on with a load in it and watch under the motor and make sure it is not hitting the floor.

Make sure all the shocks are not broken.

Check for objects stuck between tubs. 

Like you said....

Can you post a video to youtube showing lower area in spin mode with panel removed?

^^

I should note that the video was shot while the tub was unloaded.

You will need a new motor, (the new redesigned motor will not have a clutch, it has a flywheel instead and comes with a new wiring harness, relay and capacitor that all needs to be replaced).

The noise you are hearing is the motor starting/stopping in rapid succession, with no load it allows it to run but as soon as you put a load on the motor the problem occurs.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/WH49X10035/963750?modelNumber=WJSE4150B1WW

Drive-Motor-WH49X10035-00832013.jpg

You can force it to run in high speed only which will allow use until you replace the motor. Unplug washer, a few inches from the motor connector, cut the blue wire and white wire. Strip the two blue ends about 5/8" and the white wire coming from above (leave white from motor alone). Twist the three wires together and put a wirenut on them. Tape the wirenut so it can't vibrate off. It will now run in high speed only. I have repaired motors with this problem but you have to take the rear motor housing off to get to the inside of the motor switch (the part the connector plugs into).

Eric

Thanks guys, for the analysis! The wife has been asking for an new washer, so maybe this is the time.

I'll try the blue/white wire high-speed fix in the interim per fairbank56's suggestion.

fairbanks, your blue/white wire trick worked! It will hold us over for a few days. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0