Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

No_Idea

Maytag gas dryer DG482

11 posts in this topic

I just replaced the drum belt and now it seems that the drum is spinning too fast. The clothes are not tumbling just seem to be sticking to the drum. Any ideas about what I may have done wrong?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... seems that the drum is spinning too fast.

doesn't seem possible

Maytag.gif

Belt Style: Flat with ribs

Installation Tips: Flat side of belt against drum

I did install the flat side belt to the drum, so I could have the ribs on the correct side of the motor pulley. threw a load of clothes in and let it run a complete cycle, went to take the clothes out and still wet. checked the burner and burner was firing up. So I opened the door, held the door switch in and started the dryer, Clothes are be held to the outside of the drum by some magical force and not tumbling.

the only thing that could cause that is a different size motor pully.  I don't know what else would cause it to go faster

I didn't change anything except for the belt, I was hoping if anyone knew if there is some sort of controls built into the electrical system that controls how many rpm's the motor puts out, when iI was installing the new belt I noticed that there are an great amount of wires run to the motor. Maybe some of these might control speed?

... Maybe some of these might control speed?

no

I found the problem, The belt I bought was not correct, the bag had the right number, but had the incorrect belt inserted. Length was correct, but width was larger than it was supposed to be. So the belt did not ride deep enough in the motor pulley. causing the drum to turn faster then it should have. I replaced the belt with the correct one and problem solved. I hope this helps in case anyone comes across the same problem in the future.

where was the "wrong Belt" purchased ?

pictures of Belt and Bag ?

I admit: that's exactly what I did and boy am I sorry now!  I should have just bought the genuine belt in the first place and I could have had my dryer running by now.  Lesson learned!  I'm buying the belt at the link Samurai posted.  Thanks for all the help!  

where was the "wrong Belt" purchased ?

pictures of Belt and Bag ?

The belt I purchased was from a local repair shop. Bag was opened when I bought it and I was assured that it was the correct belt. No pictures of bag or belt available, when I installed belt I was so happy I threw the bag away. Number was correct on bag, wrong belt was inserted by service personel, as I had found out the hard way. When I figured out the problem I exchanged belts reinstalled and fixed the problem.

Another generic parts buyer.  False economy every time it's tried.  

Genuine OEM replacement belt: http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/Y312959/1246110?modelNumber=DG482

Drive-Belt-Y312959-01185589.jpg

I needed the belt right away, as I have an very sick mother I am caring for. Very dirty laundry was piling up and I needed a dryer right away for the clean ones. This was one of the times I DID NOT have time to wait for one to be delivered from ordering online or I would have. Now with that being said each problem has its own bit of circumstances behind it. When the need for repair is an emergency, a person has to do what needs to be done. Maybe others might not understand it, but untill you are there you will not either.