Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
wishfultech

Chest freezer

7 posts in this topic

I have a 5cuf Magic Chef chest freezer and the compressor stopped working.I took the start components off the compressor and used my test cord to see if the compressor was bad (after ohming it out } and the compressor started fine.I let it run for over an hour and checked the box and it seems fine.My only concern it the compressor is hot,167 degrees.Because there is no condenser fan and it is only cooled by the ambient air would this seem normal?I would usually think of low charge but I dont see anything obvious.The amp draw is 2.2 and the nameplate says 2.5.Any ideas?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

any model number ?

2.2 amps is too high a current draw, especially for a small chest freezer. The 2.5 amps on the name plate is not the normal running amps but is the compressor's rated load amperage (RLA). RLA is not the running amperage of the compressor; it is a mathematical formula and is used for such things as sizing fuses, wires, and contactors. Normal running amp draw for a small chest freezer would be about an amp or a little less. Something is overloading that compressor and since the refrigeration conditions are pretty constant, that only leaves a mechanical problem inside the compressor itself.

New compressor or chest freezer time.

Was there a run cap on the compressor? If so it could run hotter because it is pulling a higher amperage without the run cap. I don't think many chest freezers have run caps though.

Is rated amps the same as RLA?

Is rated amps the same as RLA?

Yes.  RLA stands for "Rated Load Amperage."  The amperage stamped on the nameplate IS the RLA that I discussed above.  

I still dont know what to think. I had an experienced repairman tell me that my starting components were good but i had no problem starting the compressor with my test cord which leads me to believe that they were bad.My compressor was around 167 degrees but my new freezer which is smaller measures 140 degrees.So at the end of the day I may have thrown away a good freezer that I could have repaired for $20.00.I hate second guessing myself! I dont usually dought my ability but after this I just dont know.If I had been a customer I think I would have at least tried the start components .I like to treat people like I want to be treated.I know Home D. is happy that I didint trust myself.Have any of you ever been in this situation?I guess misery does love company.