Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Intermittent Fan Cycling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cycotcskir

cycotcskir

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Greetings, I hope someone can help me isolate this issue.

Unit: Frigidaire/Electrolux
Model: FRS26R2AW6

Freezer: -2 F
Frig: 42-48 F

For about a year now (since I moved in) the fan in the freezer has cycled intermittently for a few minutes, then stayed on. The frig and freezer still worked, so I didn't look into it. Each cycle of on/off on/off lasted about 1 second on/one second off. Now the frig is warm.

When i turned off the frig temp control, the thermostat behind the knob made a rapid clicking noise. then went silent. This didn't seem to be an issue, as it came back on and is working the same as before.

The damper motor, when activated, makes a clicking sound that sounds like something is loose.

The frost on the coil in the freezer is just a light film.

The ice machine makes 3/4 solid, 1/4 hollow cubes (always has for the last year). The ice freezes together in lumps and the ice outlet frosts over, making it scrape when opening the door.

My thoughts:
Bad Damper - this doesn't explain the cycling of the fan.
Therm. sending bad signal - I think this works like analog, rather than digital.
Control board is cycling the signal - Not sure

Assuming that it is the control board doesn't explain the loose clicking from the damper.

Do you think that one problem allowed it to work well enough, but that now both problems are causing the full problem. Do I swap out both items?

Thank you for your time and effort. I know it is time consuming answering these posts.
Chris

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

the Cold Control connects to the ADC which in turn controls the Compressor, the Damper, and the Fans

more testing may need to be done

check the voltage at the Fan Motor when it's not working

http://appliantology...dge-frs26r2aw6/

The manufacturer has replaced part number 241508001

with this item, part number 5303918476

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1614983

Defrost-Control-Board-5303918476-0117628

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 cycotcskir

cycotcskir

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

My reply from last night never took. Thanks for the response, much quicker than I expected.

Of course, now that I was trying to get my freezer to cycle, it wouldn't. I finally got it to and the voltage is what I expected... ther is none. It cycles from 118V to 0V. The timing is more of a 1 second on/2 seconds off/1 on/2 off.

The only time I can notice anything happening with the damper is when I turn the frig all the way to zero, then it runs and clicks and sounds really loose.

Am I right about the thermostat operating more like a mercury switch than a digital output?

Should I be fixing the damper and the control? or damper, control, and therm?

Thanks again.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

... Am I right about the thermostat operating more like a mercury switch than a digital output?
... Should I be fixing the damper and the control? or damper, control, and therm?

1) yes
2) Controller may fix everything

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 cycotcskir

cycotcskir

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

OK, Thank you. I'll give that a try.

#6 cycotcskir

cycotcskir

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks again,

Controller fixed it all. I had one snag, though. Having the freezer on and with the issue, it froze over the lower vent. I was thinking about tearing it open to try and get to and defrost the vent. I thought better, though. The directions said to wait 24 hrs to let the frig adjust. I figured that it would probably cycle into a defrost and fix the venting prob. It did.

Frig was set on 5 and was 32 degrees when I woke up. So I turned it down to 4.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics