Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

ahh-cool

ge refrig gss20Ieph water in door does not work

16 posts in this topic

I'm working on a GE Refrigerator GSS20IEPH WW. The water does not come out the spiget when you push the lever. I am able to get water from the coupling under the door when I push the switch. The line appears to be frozen inside the door. I tried to blow the line out with air but that did not work. If I put my hand on the inside of the freezer door it is very cold near the area behind the valve.

My question is how do I unblock the line or defrost the line, basically how do I fix this problem?

Stefan

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Serial # SG215881

where do I get the part for the service bulletin if the frig is affected. Do we buy it or is this something the manufacturer supplies?

How do I find a list of service bulletins for an appliance?

Serial # SG215881

SG = Sept 2004

Service Bulletin  MODELS BUILT JANUARY 2003 THROUGH JANUARY 2007

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1381601

Heating-Element-WR49X10173-01066442.jpg

... Do we buy it or is this something the manufacturer supplies?

... How do I find a list of service bulletins for an appliance?

1) Give GE a call, other people have been lucky

2) someone else may know

Old Zoom spout oil bottle works great for defrosting frozen water lines in door.  Fill bottle with hot water, Zoom Spout fits perfectly into dispenser nozzle, leave connection loose at bottom of door and in pan to catch water and have a towel at the top to catch the back flow till it melts thru the ice blockage.

SG = Sept 2004

Service Bulletin  MODELS BUILT JANUARY 2003 THROUGH JANUARY 2007

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1381601

Heating-Element-WR49X10173-01066442.jpg

1) Give GE a call, other people have been lucky

2) someone else may know

Thank you,

Old Zoom spout oil bottle works great for defrosting frozen water lines in door.  Fill bottle with hot water, Zoom Spout fits perfectly into dispenser nozzle, leave connection loose at bottom of door and in pan to catch water and have a towel at the top to catch the back flow till it melts thru the ice blockage.

Thanks, I will try that

I will talk to the customer and see what they want to do

Why does this happen? I'm thinking that if the water is not used for a long time it will freeze up. In this case it's a rental. I'm not sure if it was vacant for a while

It happens because of GE manufacturing!!!  Bad door insulation or water line foamed inside door too close to inside plastic liner so it gets too cold and freezes if freezer is turned to a good cold setting, possible voids in foamed in insulation in door?

I'm getting ready to order the heater. How long should it take to defrost the line?

Stefan

With hot water and Zoom Spout with connection loose at bottom of door, not very long, (maybe 5 to 10 minutes tops).

what about with just the heater?

Heater prevents freezing,

may not defrost what's already there.

May have to turn Fridge OFF for a few days.

that's what i was afraid of

fixed it on Saturday. took a while to defrost. put the kit in, should be ok now

I cant  "THANK"  Budget Appliance enough for the tip about the zoom spout, I have been doing appliance repair for awhile now ( a lifetime it seems) I never thought of the zoom spout :wacko: , have tied steamers, bailing wire ( a little duck tape) :tongue: and a lot of patients to clear that tube. 

Well today it took  5 hole minutes.

a OLD dog can learn new tricks thanks to people like Budget Appliance and you great helpers on this site.

Thanks