Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

The steamer at work...the Sho Nuff way!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

A steamy Summer indeed!

A few tips....

use the heater if possible to help speed up your steaming

Yes, a steamer can melt plastic

I find it best many times to steam the evap before you defrost the drain tube. This way, water runs on the floor of the freezer and then into a chamois, a bucket or catch pan as oppose to under the fridge and overflowing the condensate drain pan. If the tube is not clogged, I put a piece of plastic wrap in it to block it temporarily.

Once you know your steamer, you will know when the clogged tube is open by sound. I usually look for steam coming out the bottom of the fridge to also verify. Once complete, I keep a small dish detergent squirt bottle filled with a water and baking soda mix that I squirt into the tube to retard gookus growth.

Always always remove water from your steamer before leaving the site. Many of them have small computers inside the water tank and it is only protected from the water by a thin plastic bag.

I bought my last one from macy's. I happen to tell the clerk I burn through about one a year. He said to just bring mine back on day 364 and get a new one for free.. I told him I use it commercially. He said, they don't care!

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Great video technique!  Nice n' steady, stayed focused on subject.  I'm honored to have been mentioned in such auspicious annotations!  And I was awed by the never-before-filmed two-handed steamer technique.  

The videography was really steady.  Were you holding your phone in the other hand or was it mounted on your head?  

Well done!  

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

I was holding it. A little challenging at times but I'm pretty much ambi.. ... .. amphi... uh.. . I can use both my hands real good

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Nice work Brother Durham!

The steamer also works great to clear the air ducts between the compartments.

I know guys that use a garden sprayer filled with hot water. There is more water to catch, but they say it's really fast.

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yeah I certainly use it to clear out the return ports.  When I have a really really bad situation I pull out the garden sprayer and my hot pot...boil some water and use it to remove the ice....it's best to have a small wet vac around to get up all the water.  

I use the steamer to open frozen water dispenser lines as well as shoot a little to make that plastic sleeve slide easily on the capillary tube on a cold control. It's great to soften hardened fridge door gaskets as well. Inevitably, when you access a water dispenser or an ice chute door, a customer will be grossed out from the gookus built up around it so I clear it up with my steamer. Then I use my steamer to clean the inside of the fridge to remove any Germs that emanated from my body on those jobs where I practically have to sit inside the freezer.  Again, I have to thank Master Kdog for first turning on to the steamer a few years back.

#6 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

I will take steaming any day over the use of hot water and a vacuum.  I wish the steamers were available many many years ago.  Would have made a world of difference thawing out the frozen water lines when whirlpool started making their indoor ice refrigerators.  I don't know how many of those things I replaced under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics