Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dryerman45

WHIRLPOOL

9 posts in this topic

Dear Samurais,

I have a whirlpool ref freezer and the evaporator was all frosted up causing the usually warming of ref compartment etc.I have tested the heating element and it is good.I beleive you have to repolace the control board, thermistor, and bi- metal.I cannot find the part number for the bi-metal.It doesnt show it in parts list or any exploded views I have seen.Does anyone know the part number for this,and Does it sound like Iam doing the repair correctly.Model# is GX5SHDXVQ01

Love you guys,

SAMANERA

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Here is the techsheet:  http://appliantology.org/files/file/1059-gx5shdxvq01-tech-sheet/

I would be looking long and hard at the Jazz Board before going to far.  Those are famous for having stuck relays causing them to continue running during the defrost cycle.  They also are known for skipping defrost cycles.  Easy way to test if the relay is stuck is the hit the Freezer Warm button till the unit shuts off - if the compressor is still running, the relay is stuck.  If you can manually put it into defrost, and the heater comes on, then you have a board problem and you don't have to go any further with the heater and limiter.  

I could not find the limiter on the breakdown either - It is probably the same as the earlier model GX5SHDXVQ00, but I would double check with WP before being sure. 

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/12784415/1541423?rcaid=1000067

med_gallery_55589_30_94837.jpg

Put the board in manual defrost to test it. If it defrosts then you know the board is bad. Oh and good tip for the stuck relay Strathy, never thought of that. Lol

The other common failure mode of these boards is failing to initiate defrost.  Here's how to troubleshoot the Jazz board:

Part link for the new, OEM replacement Jazz board w/ 1 year return policy:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/12784415/1541423?modelNumber=GX5SHDXVQ01

Main-Control-Board-12784415-00723729.jpg

And here's how to replace the Jazz board:

I agree on the board. What I usually found is if you turn the temp warmer until it I shuts off. Then you will see dashes in the temp screen but you will hear the compressor keep running. Which it isn't supposed to do.

Samurai, The surge suppressor. Where did you get it? What is the name and mod.? Are they expensive? Thanks.

I like a minimum rating of 1,000 joules.  This gives durable, robust protection.  Here's the ones I carry in the Guru Mobile:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000668YX/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=mrssamskit-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0000668YX&adid=020TNX739VH0T66K9XMN&

I buy 5 at a time (the max allowed by Amazon) and sell them for $20 each, installed.  These units also come with $50,000 in equipment protection insurance.  

Thanks Samurai, I will offer these to all my customers with electronic appliances. We have alot of power outages around here. That is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I will start by putting one on my own reefer. Excellent idea.