Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WHIRLPOOL

DEFROST PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dryerman45

dryerman45

SAMANERA

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:rootbeer

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Dear Samurais,

I have a whirlpool ref freezer and the evaporator was all frosted up causing the usually warming of ref compartment etc.I have tested the heating element and it is good.I beleive you have to repolace the control board, thermistor, and bi- metal.I cannot find the part number for the bi-metal.It doesnt show it in parts list or any exploded views I have seen.Does anyone know the part number for this,and Does it sound like Iam doing the repair correctly.Model# is GX5SHDXVQ01

Love you guys,

SAMANERA

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Here is the techsheet:  http://appliantology...q01-tech-sheet/

I would be looking long and hard at the Jazz Board before going to far.  Those are famous for having stuck relays causing them to continue running during the defrost cycle.  They also are known for skipping defrost cycles.  Easy way to test if the relay is stuck is the hit the Freezer Warm button till the unit shuts off - if the compressor is still running, the relay is stuck.  If you can manually put it into defrost, and the heater comes on, then you have a board problem and you don't have to go any further with the heater and limiter.  

I could not find the limiter on the breakdown either - It is probably the same as the earlier model GX5SHDXVQ00, but I would double check with WP before being sure. 

http://www.repaircli...3?rcaid=1000067

med_gallery_55589_30_94837.jpg

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,571 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Put the board in manual defrost to test it. If it defrosts then you know the board is bad. Oh and good tip for the stuck relay Strathy, never thought of that. Lol

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

The other common failure mode of these boards is failing to initiate defrost.  Here's how to troubleshoot the Jazz board:

Part link for the new, OEM replacement Jazz board w/ 1 year return policy:  http://www.repaircli...ber=GX5SHDXVQ01

Main-Control-Board-12784415-00723729.jpg

And here's how to replace the Jazz board:

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

... I could not find the limiter on the breakdown either - It is probably the same as the earlier model GX5SHDXVQ00,

yes, tech sheets say same specs..

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1455131

Defrost-Thermostat-W10165425-01073874.jp

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

I agree on the board. What I usually found is if you turn the temp warmer until it I shuts off. Then you will see dashes in the temp screen but you will hear the compressor keep running. Which it isn't supposed to do.

#7 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Samurai, The surge suppressor. Where did you get it? What is the name and mod.? Are they expensive? Thanks.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

I like a minimum rating of 1,000 joules.  This gives durable, robust protection.  Here's the ones I carry in the Guru Mobile:  https://www.amazon.c...739VH0T66K9XMN

I buy 5 at a time (the max allowed by Amazon) and sell them for $20 each, installed.  These units also come with $50,000 in equipment protection insurance.  

#9 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks Samurai, I will offer these to all my customers with electronic appliances. We have alot of power outages around here. That is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I will start by putting one on my own reefer. Excellent idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics