Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag French Door Fridge warming up--then back to normal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Garage3d

Garage3d

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Milwaukee

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

I noticed the temps in my Maytag MFF2557HEB Refrigerator were slowly creeping up into the upper 40/lower 50s. I should point out that both freezer and fridge were packed pretty tight.

I read that sometimes the evaporator frosts up to the point where the temps climb so I unplugged the refrigerator for two hours but when I plugged it back in it didn't cool any better.

The next day, a Monday, I got a repairman out. He removed the lower panel at the back of the fridge and after a minute or two said it needed a new compressor. To the best of my knowledge, he did not test anything with a voltmeter. I said I needed to sleep on this as a $750 repair seemed like it might be a bad idea.

The next day I picked up a universal compressor relay from another appliance shop. I went to install it and discovered that the repairman had pulled the existing relay and had not reinstalled it. Curious, I hooked up the original relay and plugged ther refrigerator back in. It has been performing flawlessly ever since.

Any thoughts on what my problem was/is? Should I trust the refrigerator to continue working? I'm stumped.

Thanks much.

John Ladd

Burbank, CA

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

http://www.repaircli...mber=MFF2557HEB

This is the correct relay for your model.Never use a universal relay as it could damage your compressor.Maybe it was the relay that was bad anyway.Did you have frost in freezer back panel before you called him?How long as this relay you install been in there .If it been working for 5 days and you see no frost  bulid up in freezer and boths fan working.I would buy correct relay before you damage compressor and go from there.

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Is there an indian head on the compressor? Those compressors start windings start to fail and will sometimes run fine after they cool off. Doesn't mean you don't need a new compressor. Sometimes they will cool off and on. Did the freezer temps stay normal while the fresh food was warming up.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

would need to know both Fridge and Freezer temperatures ..

May be a Defrost problem that may re-appear in a few days, or weeks...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Garage3d

Garage3d

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Milwaukee

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

It seems as though I was not sufficiently clear in my initial post.

I did not install the universal relay. The original, factory equiped relay is still in use.

The temps in both compartments climbed to about 50 when I finally gave up and unplugged the refrigerator.

I don't know if the compressor has an Indian on it. WIll have to pull it out of the cabinet and take a look.

I didn't see any frost anywhere, but I did not remove the back cover other than the small cover at the bottom.

Thanks.

John

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

If you did have a defrost problem, (ice plugged evaporator but wasn't enough to show ice on back wall of freezer), 2 hours most likely would not be long enough for it to defrost.

Having it off while waiting for the repairman and off for another day after you were told it needed a compressor could have let it defrost enough to start working again.

You need to remove the evaporator cover in the freezer compartment and look at the frost pattern of the evaporator after it has been running for an hour or so.  Also if there is any large amounts of ice anywhere behind the evaporator cover it could be sighs of a defrost problem.  If you do have a defrost problem it will start to warm up in the refrig section in 4-5 days once the ice starts plugging the evaporator coils again.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics