Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

The Scherlock Holmes Mystery of GE refrigerators... Evap Fan Fun Pt.2

refrigerator not cooling fan

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi again all, sorry I've been AWOL. Life gets like that for me at times but I'll try to check in more often.

I've got a real nice lady with a scratch and dent Adora fridge, M# DSHS5PGXAESS. If you didn't groan after reading that then you should know that S&D means they took the tech sheet out of the unit before selling it as scratch and dent... yea, now you can groan. On the bright side, for some odd reason they didn't scrape the model number stickers the way they're supposed to. Anywho...

What I've got is both sides are warming about 8-10 degrees over a few days. Normally I'd be thinking sealed system but in this case the customer said that just before the warming started the evap fan motor began a pattern of 4 seconds on, 4 seconds off, 4 seconds on, etc.

I've verified that... the noise is really annoying too. The fan sounds normal but the way it comes on and goes off gets under your skin in a way that you can't ignore no matter how you try. No wonder she called.

There's no frost on the back wall of the freezer and the fan actually started running constantly after I'd had the freezer door open for a while. The fan then went back to on/off/on/off when the freezer got down to about 12-13 degrees F.

1) Anyone familiar with the evap fan mot 4sec on 4 sec off pattern here? What was your experience?

2) At this point I don't feel it's appropriate to settle on any diagnosis until I can get a thermistor check. Does anyone know how to run the GE diag's from the dispenser panel on these things? (I can do it from the digital temp panel on a GSS/PSS but I've never had to do it from the dispenser controls on this thing.)

I know it sounds like a sealed system issue but the fact is that the system and fan are doing what the main board is telling them to do and I'm not convinced that the evaporator is too warm. I'm actually thinking that the airflow is the issue and it's clearly caused by the wonky fan action... which has me thinking thermistor or board.

I have my pride but I'm not going to tell her to junk a $1500 fridge that might only need a thermistor until I'm sure of the diagnosis... worst case scenario is that I have to tell her to call for GE service because they're the only ones who can get the tech sheet. If I absolutely have to do that then I'll hate it, but I will.

But you wonderful, nice, easily flattered people can save me all this pain if you happen to know where I can get instructions for the DSHS style diagnostics and a tech sheet for this monster :c)

Thanks!

Scott

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,192 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

You've either got a bad evap fan (got water in it and is shorting the voltage from the muthaboard),  the muthaboard is not putting out a steady power supply to the evap fan, or both.  Here's the tech sheet:  http://appliantology...tor-tech-sheet/

You could measure the voltage to the evap fan from the mobo but this will probably not tell you anything useful. Should see a steady DC voltage in the 13vdc range.  If I were on the call, I would replace both the evap fan motor and the muthaboard, probably go ahead and replace the FF thermistors while I was in there.  

Muthaboard:  http://www.repaircli...er=DSHS5PGXAESS

Main-Control-Board-WR55X10942-01091474.j

Evap fan:  http://www.repaircli...er=DSHS5PGXAESS

Evaporator-Fan-Motor-WR60X10307-01093918

Thermistor:   http://www.repaircli...er=DSHS5PGXAESS

Thermistor-WR55X10025-00855831.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 04 July 2013 - 11:34 AM.
Corrected typos

#3 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Considering the cost of the fridge this is doable.

I knew we were all pretty good but now I bow to the fermented one with beer suds in the beard. Anyone who can get GE schematics must be enlightened in the way of the Tao. ;)

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"

#4 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

So today I changed the board and the evap fan motor (which now comes with a thermistor, thankfully). Seven hours later I get a call back from the customer...

Things worked fine until the freezer hit 16 degrees, then the fan began cycling again. Last time it was 15 degrees so clearly something is still wrong.

I swear this has to be a thermistor giving the board bad info but I need to figure out how to get into diags on this model to run the test (1,7 if I remember correctly)... if it turns out to be the same button combo just from the dispenser panel I'm going to feel really, really silly.

I'm due to go back tomorrow (Sunday) between 1 and 3. If anyone knows how to get this model into diagnostics I'd really appreciate the head's up.

Thanks!

Edited by Vets Appliance, 13 July 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Ahh-Cool

Ahh-Cool

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

sounds like a bad board

#6 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

The board's new... though they occasionally can be bad out of the box I doubt it's bad in exactly the same way as the old one.

I did have an idea last night. Since it takes a 10942 as a replacement the diagnostics should work the same if I hit the same keys combos. I'm not sure if that would have worked before because the old board has a lot of straight wires where the 10942 has components, but there's a 10942 in there now so hopefully it will act just like a GSS.

Edited by Vets Appliance, 14 July 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

not sure if this model has a diagnostic mode. Unable to find much info on it. From the diagrams it looks as though the controls are at the dispenser but not sure....it may have limited diagnostics similar to the lcd dispenser screen models but they are in essence considered encoder models. You would probably need the diagnostic kit to put it in diagnostic mode.

The following manuals provide diagnostic mode info for the majority of GE's  The first manual is for the interfaces that are usually found in the ff section. The second is for  the lcd interfaces found on the dispenser. I hope there is some info in these that may help

http://appliantology...ultiple-models/

http://appliantology...service-manual/

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I started a new thread on this one to better organize the info and give it a fresh look.

DSHS5PGXAESS

Symptom:

With freezer at 15 degrees the evap fan motor runs 4 sec on then 4 sec off. The inconsistent action of the fan is causing the unit to say about ten degrees warm however is it not a sealed system issue because:

A) It's been at that temp for weeks and hasn't gotten any warmer.

B) The unit cools from 50 degrees to 15 in about 2 hours.

So I changed the evap fan motor and evap thermistor, as well as 10942 board. At 50 degrees the unit ran fine, I went home. Customer called back to say that after 2 hours the problem reappeared and, guess what, the unit is at 15 degrees again.

Suspecting the Freezer thermistor or a wiring issue, I went back.

I arrive today to find the unit at 9 degrees with the fan motor running for 3 seconds and off for 10 seconds. Apparently the cooler it gets the less the fan runs, which sort of makes sense.

The original board has a lot of straight wires soldered into spaces where components normally are but the 10942 has all the goodies... so I took a chance on using the dispenser controls to activate the 10942's diagnostics. Even though you access the controls from the front dispenser these diagnostics still require the fridge door to be open in order to get into service mode but it did work. I just let the door open and then used the controls on the freezer door.

Test 07 (thermistor) passed 1,2,3 and 4 but wouldn't you know it number 5 failed as open. Yea, that's the freezer thermistor. So I swapped the boards back, put in a freezer thermistor and gave the nice lady back $100 to ensure that she keeps sending their friends.

An hour later she calls back to say that it's doing it again.

Really? Are you  #&^$*##@( ing    &* )#&$#@) ing    me?!?!?!?

I need to go back, obviously. I plan to try diagnostics with the original board and, if needed, temporarily put the 10942 back. This may be a simple case of a bad connection in my work but that's not likely only because electronics is my formal training... but mistakes do happen. Hell, I'll be very happy if that's all it is.

Or it could be a wiring issue in the cabinet some place... that would be really bad.

Or the thermistor could test good and the thing could still have the symptoms.... in which case I'll want to take a carpenter's hammer to it.

Yes, I should have run the 07 test after putting the thermistor in. Hindsight's 20/20 and all that. What I'm wondering is this:

Can anyone think of any other part at all besides the 2 thermistors, evap fan motor and 10942 board that could cause this??

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Vets Appliance, 14 July 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

I am still trying to get a handle on this interface. is this fridge compatible to one of the manuals I linked? If so, which one. With the diagnostics, are you able to test communications between the interface and the board? I've had a similar issue with a Ge that has the diagnostics at the dispenser. I've affectionately named it "the bastard." Not sure if I fixed it as the customer has been out of town. The burning question I have is whether the interface can cause this problem? Anyway, did you check your frost pattern and did you test thermistors for tolerance as well as open/short.?

The fan does sound suspicious. Make sure you don't have corrosion in the connectors.. quite common.

#10 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

One thermistor came with the new motor and I replaced the other one earlier today (Sunday).

I used the diagnostics on the 10942 board (new board) by using the buttons on the dispenser interface. The up/downs and turbo cool are all there and they worked with a 10942 in the machine but I'm not sure if it'll work with the original equipment board since it looks as if it's been mostly stripped of components and had straight wires soldered in their places.

If you have corrosion in those connectors what do you do? Replace the molex pins individually? I haven't had to do that since I was a tech on automated production lines. Maybe it's time I hit Micro Center and bought the tools and pins. Le Sigh...

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

GE suggests that an evap fan with rapidly changing speeds is a sign of a bad board. But I consider your model a "tweener" ... it has elements of older models as well as newer. For instance, your condenser fan motor is AC not DC. So I am not sure if GE'S statement applies here.

If everything has been replaced and you are having the same problems. Then logically one of Four things remain

1) wiring or connector issues... the last tweener fridge I worked on drove me nuts until I noticed the evap fan stopping when i touched the molex connector. I just plugged and unplugged it about ten times and did not get a call back.
2) sealed system failure (frost pattern? I understand your rationale in assuming this is not your problem but your reasoning does not preclude a stricture in your evap)
3) new part failure
4 Interface failure or failure in communication between board and interface. GE's with full diagnostic ability have this test, therefore the possibility of failure must exist. . The only way I can imagine the interface could cause your problem is if it is sending erratic temp setting instructions to the board. I have never seen this before in a fridge but have seen it in ovens. I imagine the principle is the same.

#12 Ahh-Cool

Ahh-Cool

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

A/C Fan? Isn't that a D/C fan in the pix

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

A/C Fan? Isn't that a D/C fan in the pix

I wasn't talking about the evap fan. I stated the condenser fan is AC... normally with the 10942 board you test the evap and condenser fan for dc voltage. This fridge uses an AC CONDENSER fan and you can't test it at the same board location, if in fact, you can test it at the board at all. I understand his issue is with the dc powered evap fan. I simply used the condenser fan as an illustration as to why this is a "tweener" model and normal rules, as we understand them, don't always apply. In essence Ge's statement regarding the Evap fan may not apply to this model since they also tell you to test the condenser fan at the j2 connector which can't be done.

My apologies, however, as I should have been clearer.

check out http://appliantology...+ge#entry253812

By the way Vet, did you have your coffee before you tried to tackle this wierdo fridge? lol

#14 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

lol

Oh man now smart assed remarks I made months ago are going to come back to haunt me!

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

lol

Oh man now smart assed remarks I made months ago are going to come back to haunt me!

lol happens to me all the time....Stupid internet  and its propensity to keep stuff forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics