Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM2277HS - display flashes 4 or 5 times, then quits

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LG Hack

LG Hack

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Long Trail Double Bag

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

I have the LG washer model in the topic title. The bar code tag on the right wall has the numbers: 77831603002696021218-63WD2760. The washer has stopped; no error messages or noises. When unplugged or left off for a long period of time (say, more than 10-20 minutes), the display will light up when you press the power button. But, it flashes for 4 or five times with no error message or info (just dashes), then powers off and becomes unresponsive again.

Recently the washer was relocated to the basement. Has been working fine there (plumbed in and outlet circuits for use installed by a master plumber and electrician, to code). No major problems w/moving the thing down there. Set it up, it ran fine. Occasional error messages due to load imbalance, etc. Nothing we hadn't dealt with ourselves before.

Last week I went downstairs and found the lights in the room not working and the appliances off. Went to the fusebox and reset all the switches and everything came back on, but the washer (it needed time to reset). Wasn't a power outage as the rest of the place was fine. No circuit problems since; breakers seem fine.

That's the history and symptoms... My question is what to do to ID the washer problem? I've read a bunch of the posts about this model of LG and often the computer control module is blamed. What do I need to do to exclude any other possible sources (if, in fact, there are any)? I looked at your videos and FAQ info and am pretty sure I can do the replacement of the main control module. But, i don't want to buy something, wait for shipping, and go through the hassle of the install only to find it's something else. Not to mention the cost of the laundromat and the joy of my spouse and I having to make runs there 'till it's taken care of, times two.

Thanks in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 LG Hack

LG Hack

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

...also, if it is the control board (pcb), how do I I.D. the correct part number so I don't end up w/the wrong pcb? Looks like part numbers 6871ER1078T and 6871ER1003C are the two most likely candidates...

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Try to get into QC test mode:

The washer must be empty and the controls must be in the off state.
1. Press the SPIN SPEED and SOIL LEVEL buttons simultaneously.
2. Press the Power  button, while the above condition. Then buzzer will sound twice. 3. Press the Start/Pause button repeatedly to cycle through the test modes.

If the board won't go into QC test mode, then you have to assume it's a bad board.  

Post the serial number of the washer.  

#4 LG Hack

LG Hack

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the quick follow up! Since posting I noticed that when I (obsessively?) tried unplugging and re-plugging in the unit yet again to get it to reset, there was a small audible "pop" when the plug contacts touched in the junction box circuit. There was one major power outage caused by a nearby lightning strike a few weeks back (caused a loud "clack" to come from the main breaker box at the same moment as the strike and it took several hours for crews to restore the power in the neighborhood). Combined w/the failure of the room circuit a while back, this got me to test the washer using a completely different circuit, juuuuuust in case it was something like a short in that one wall line...

Ran a grounded extension cord from a different outlet on a different circuit to the washer and "voila!" it ran like a champ. It's been through one full cycle so far w/no trouble. So, now I have a service call in to the person who did the electrical wiring.

Got a copy of the sequence of steps to run diagnostics on the unit, just in case. Rumor has it that I should be patient and slow w/each stage, allowing it to fully complete. Otherwise, there's a chance I could fry the motor (if, say, I got hasty w/changing from one diagnostic setting to another).

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

You could fry the board if you press the start button repeatedly during the spin tests. You sould only press it once until the basket comes to a complete stop.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Nice work!  

And be sure to use a surge suppressor with this washer to protect the main board and noise filter from junk on the power lines.

#7 LG Hack

LG Hack

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Ahhh... Thanks. Brain-cramp on my part; I should have though of a surge suppressor. Cheap insurance for future line spikes and noise. Spannerwrench, thanks for the tip re: the diagnostic cycle, and the profile pic... ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics