Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to determine if the magnetron or transformer is bad.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bimbbobway

bimbbobway

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

I am looking for a surefire method to determine whether the magnetron or the transformer are bad. Many times the transformer windings test good but in the end the transformer is bad. Same with the magnetron.
www.mrappliance.com/wilmington

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

There's more in the circuit than the magnetron and transformer.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 bimbbobway

bimbbobway

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Yes I know that. But the cap and diode are easy to test.

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Mag less than 1 ohm between terminals and open from each terminal to ground.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I use a 100 - t0 - 1 voltage probe with my VOM to test for 3000 to 4000 voltage  DC at the probe to see if the Magnetron will work, if there's no power

then i'm looking at the Diode or Transformer circuit.

#6 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Never had a transformer test good and be bad that I can remember.  The readings you should get are 0.3 - 0.5 ohm on the primary winding, less than 0.1 ohm on the filament winding, and  65 - 120 ohms on the secondary winding.  Primary and Filament to ground should be infinite.  The magnetron tests just as Spannerwrench described.   If everything in the high voltage side checks good then replace the magnetron.  The magnetron is a vacuum tube, and if it looses it's vacuum then it won't work. No way for a tech to test the vacuum so it's a process of elimination.  Every transformer I've replaced had either open windings or was arching from a breakdown in the varnish on the windings.  The latter displays a nice fireworks show while energized.  

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,169 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

I am looking for a surefire method to determine whether the magnetron or the transformer are bad. Many times the transformer windings test good but in the end the transformer is bad. Same with the magnetron.

Try the Willie Method ™:  http://appliantology...magnetron-tube/

#8 bimbbobway

bimbbobway

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

That's the method I have used for years. Thanks for confirming that. I've had several transformers lately that have tested good on all windings then ended up being bad. Its a bummer when you order magnetron put it and it turns out to be a transformer.

Could there be a way to test the output of the transformer? Could we build a dummy load to put on the transformer to test it with?
That's the method I have used for years. Thanks for confirming that. I've had several transformers lately that have tested good on all windings then ended up being bad. Its a bummer when you order magnetron put it and it turns out to be a transformer.

Could there be a way to test the output of the transformer? Could we build a dummy load to put on the transformer to test it with?

#9 bimbbobway

bimbbobway

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

That's not bad ill share it with my techs. Thanks. I'm still gonna keep searching for a more solid answer. If I find one ill let you know.
That's not bad ill share it with my techs. Thanks. I'm still gonna keep searching for a more solid answer. If I find one ill let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics