Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
educatedguess417

Kenmore Fridge Not Staying Cold

30 posts in this topic

Just move the lever all the way one way when the compressors running and then all the way the other way and figure out which way lets more air into your fridge. If neither way lets more or less air in and nothings broken then you have blockage somewhere above that in the freezer. 

Which way lets more air in?

Edited by tpoindexter

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Poin: As an experiment, I've set the freezer level dampener at 2 out of 5, and am gonna watch it for 24 hours to see if this changes the temp in the fridge.  If not, I suspect what others have been telling me: that there is ice blocking the passage, and then I will look into getting in there and clearing it out.  I know this can be fixed, since the freezer is so cold.  It's an airflow problem.  We just have to figure out what's blocking the flow into the lower fridge area.  I'm suspecting ice now.  Thanks!

I'm confused... I thought that the cold control(what turns on compressor and fan) is the refrig control. The damper is the freezer control. When you turn the freezer control to coldest setting you are in fact allowing less air into the refrig section. So if your are at -10 in the freezer turn the freezer control (aka damper) to warmest and allow more cold air to the refrig. Really these controls are are slightly mislabeled. Some older refrigerators described their function more accurately by calling the refrig control the temp control and the freezer setting "air balance" it is still possible you have an air restriction due to ice build up or incomplete defrost but it is important to understand the settings first

JJ Surfer, thanks for the clarification.

Folks: I found what appears to be a good fridge tech.  He'll be coming out this Monday morning to look at the unit.  At this point, I wanted to have someone more knowledgeable come in and help me figure this out.  I'm pretty sure that ice is probably blocking the airflow, but I want to find out what causes this so it can be fixed.  Yes, I can unplug and defrost the ice over several days, but if the underlying condition is not fixed, it will happen again.  I will report back next week once the tech has come and gone.

Thanks to everyone in this Forum!

Thanks! And let us know what they find too! Nothing worse than an unsolved mystery.